Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. There is light at the end of the tunnel!!!!!

There is light at the end of the tunnel!!!!! Lock Rss

Hi all,

YAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY after all the frustration of not having a full nights sleep, tearing my hair out during the day, wondering if I should stop the dummy, I'm happy to say that my now 8 month old is sleeping very well and all is great.

The teething was a definite trigger to most of the sleepless nights and waking. I have tried some of Marie's settling techinques and they seemed to work most of the time (not all). Now that Liana is more active and on good solid meals she has changed. She's more interactive at play she brings tears to my eyes from laughter!!! she now has four front teeth and is almost into a full crawl. It's going to be hard to catch her soon!!

I'm now having a full nights sleep, she goes down at 7pm and wakes around 6.30-7.30am. She'll have 1 to 1.5 twice a day and settles most of the time straight away. There have been a few occasions where I have had to use Marie's techinque, but over all I havent needed it much.

So fellow parents there is a light, Liana did grow out of the trouble phase

Kez

Kerryn, SA, baby girl 20/11/03

Hi Kerryn - that's my name too!!!! Pretty unusual. I don't even know you or your daughter and even I am really proud of her after reading your post. Congratulations on perservering and breaking through. It really does seem like an eternity when you are facing sleeplessness, when finally it resolves. I am so glad you are enjoying your baby. You are an encouragement to the sleepless ones everywhere. It is as important to post good news and breakthroughs on here as it is to post problems.

Domestic Goddess Mum of Four!

Hi Kez Cap
Im so happy for you that things have gotten better in the sleep department.Wasnt Liana a catnapper before? How did you get her out of that terrible stage? My daughter is now 7months and still wakes twice a night, sometimes 3. Its very hard to get her back to sleep without a bottle though. Did you drop the night feeds cold turkey or just let her have less milk?
You have given me some hope with your post. Sleep deprivation is so hard when you have to be on your toes 24 hours a day... Hopefully i will see my light at the end of the tunnel soon!! smile
Hi Lara,

Liana was a catnapper when she was around four months. I realised this may have had something to do with her teething, so I started her on a good routine I got from www.saveoursleep.com I have stuck with it ever since. I have a copy of it if you'd like it. She adapted well to routine which made it easy. She was a great night sleeper but I needed to straighten out her day sleeps a bit.
I dropped the night feed when she was around 5 months because she was hardly having any of it and I found it a waste, so I dropped it. This feed was a 'dream feed' and most of the time she was sound asleep.
When her teething was in full swing she started waking at night for her dummy and the minute she had it back she'd go back to sleep. Sometimes she's lay there and chat to herself too. So I went through the stage of whining her off the dummy, with no success. So many people told me I was terrible taking away her dummy, but as you know , you try anything to get a good nights sleep. She still has her dummy today!!!! (but only in her cot for sleep).
She started to sleep longer at night (seven months)and I found that she might wake once or twice. A friend told me to put two dummies in her cot as this might stop her waking me to pick the one up off the floor. Well it worked, she now sleeps through (7-7) 90% of the time and has the two dummies if one goes missing. She's also starting to crawl now and I leave her up a little longer between sleeps and this then means she'll sleep for two hours morning and afternoon on most days. YAYYY
I guess it all works out in the end but it does seems like eternity. I think you can be given all the advice in the world and buy every book there is but in the end not all are going to work for you. You just have to do whats best for YOUR BABY. Once I got through that and realised that I didnt have a 'text book' baby I just relaxed and tried a few things and I noticed a difference straight away. I did purchase Maree's book and DVD but I found the patting on the shoulder irritated Liana and made her to upset. I also think the patting could actually be an association just like a dummy. On the third day of trying Maree's settling, I was patting Liana saying "it's time to sleep' and she turned and looked at me as if to say 'yeah yeah I heard ya now keep patting me I like it' SO the next sleep time I just put her in the cot and turned to walk away only to recieve a staged response of " Hey mum you havent patted me'!!!! I stopped ..

So Lara, persist and see how you go trying a few different options. And just remember your not alone and your doing great!!!!

take care

Kez

Kerryn, SA, baby girl 20/11/03

Sign in to follow this topic