Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Curious about nightmares

Curious about nightmares Rss

Was wondering if anybody had any insight about nightmares in babies around 6 months old. I have not been able to find any written reference to these occurences. Are babies this age capable of nightmares? If so, what might be the cause? Would like to hear your opinions this topic.

Louise VIC

I think babies are capable of having dreams and therefore I think it's possible they have nightmares. A cause maybe something they heard or saw? My aunty had twins and when they were about this age she was feeding them in her lounge room in the middle of the night and looked up and the was a stranger in her home and she screamed! The twins would wake through the night for weeks screaming from then on and it was most likely from that incident!

Mum(29) - DS 7yr, DD 4yr & DD 2yr

Hannah was crying before so i went in to check on her and she was sound asleep. i put my hand on her shoulder and she stopped. it was like a quiet version of a screaming cry.
i felt like crying when i heard her.

even a dream of seperation anxiety would be a nightmare for them i think

DD 13/11/03 -DD 11.11.05 - DS 17.4.08

Hey Louise,

I know we used to take Alynta to the cinema with us often. She wasreally good and would sleep throughthe movies, but around 6months, I think the stuff in themovies started to affect her (depending on what movies ofcourse) and she began just suddenly waking up screaming really upset. I believe that babies are really aware of what goes on around them and even if they don't understand it, that they could sense things like say the scary atmosphere in a movie or negative events in the home and stuff. Don't know if this would aply in anyway, but we just started to be careful what Ally was exposed to.

Take care

Hello

At this age, they are called night terrors, they aren't nightmares till they can tell u what the problem is. My now 3 year old had this problem for along time, just comfort is the only thing that can fix it. It was scary when he did suffer from them, he would just scream, but not wake up, he would even shake, when it first happend we didn't know what to do. Am now glad they don't happen, and hope they dont' ever happen again, isn't nice.

Heather
Sign in to follow this topic