Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. The Dump and Run Method

The Dump and Run Method Lock Rss

Hi everyone,

I know all babies are different - but this has worked for me.
I have been reading a lot of articles about mums not getting a full nights sleep. I just wanted to share what I do incase it helps anyone. You don't have to agree with what I do.
I have twins, they are 11 months old and we are so lucky every single night. When we put our babies to sleep at night we just walk in put them straight down and walk straight out and shut the door. One or both might cry for 10 mins - but you just go to the other end of the house and leave them. We use our monitor ( on Mute ) to make sure that they don't scream for too long. Using this method - throughout the night they might wake-but they know how to get themselves back to sleep. They are usually in bed by 8:00pm and I don't go in to get them until 7:30am. Aren't I lucky!! Don't know how long it will last for - but this method has been working for us for many, many months.

Alison

Actually, your thread got me thinking about how would you teach twins to self settle. I didn't consider that they could wake each other up. You are just amazing to achieve that - well done !!! I like your method, I make a quick escape these days myself. I think a few mums might not like the term 'dump and run' - but I certainly understand what you mean. Its great advice because so often I've found myself trying just about any-thing !!!

Wow, twins. You are so amazing !!!

DD is 3yr 8 months - DS is 6 months

Hi Alison,

YEP, that's what we do.....

When I first decided that we needed to set some boundaries/routine etc I wasn't sure what to do. I started putting him into bed and would go away. He would cry for about 10 mins.

This took 2 days and NOW, we can literally put him to bed in an ad break (if we're watching tv together - if we're lucky as it is only 7.30pm) and he is off to sleep within minutes - NO cries.

He's such a wonderful baby....

Hi Alison

The other day my daughter who is 9 months old was crying so bad that matter what I did it made it worse and I got stress in the mean time, so I put Jaye into her room and walk out of the room and shut the door and went up to the kitchen and watch tv but in the time Jaye was getting so upset and she was getting louder and louder and louder with her crying so I felt like a awful mother doing that to my little girl.

After 1/2 hours she still was crying but not so bad and wasnt going to sleep at all. But in that time I had a good cry as well.

So I hope I did the right thing that day with her but I felt so awful and an failure being a mum.

Chat soon.

Tracey,Jaye (girl)12/06/05, Sam (boy)10/07/09

Sign in to follow this topic