Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. When is it safe for a pillow in the cot????

When is it safe for a pillow in the cot???? Rss

Hi
Does anyone know when it is safe to put a baby pillow in the cot? My bub sometimes sleeps wth us and puts his head on our pillow, but I was unsure of the whole sids thing on if it was safe, does anyone have pillows in the cot, my bub is 10 months.
Any advice would be appreciated.Thanks

Bek NSW 10mth boy

Hi
I pretty sure not until in a bed of their own. As they tend to pull things on their faces etc. My boy Joel 10months loves a pillow to, I have a small matress in lounge and a pillow and usually 10mins tv time in the morning and he rolls around on the mattress with the pillow just loves to crawl over etc. Somehow but I dont think the pillow in bed a good idea.

Bye for now
Janine

Janine WA 16mth boy

Hi Bek,

I think the recommended age is 2, not sure if that applies to a cot or bed.

I have a V pillow in my sons bed, but hey, i'm a rule breaker. wink I kept a very close eye on him when i first put it in, about 4 months ago. He is now 14 months.

You could try and put a towel under his mattress, and that will elevate his head a bit, without the dangers!

Food for thought,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Hi

I have just had a Plunket Visit, and my 9 1/2 Month old Boy had a slightly flat head to one side, so the Plunket Nurse suggested putting a pillow in his cot. She told me to put it under the fitted sheet, so then he cannot oull it over his head, and not a really high pillow, and he seems to love it. It has also helped slightly with his head shape which is really good. So long as you have it so baby cannot get at it, I cannot see why not using one. Try it during the day sleeps first incase Bub dosn't like it!!!

Joanne, Oamaru, NZ, 4 Year Old, 16 Month Old

Joanne,

That's a great idea about putting it under the sheets!!

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Hi Joanne C
Thanks for your great idea, I am going to try that today, I would never have thought to do that but it makes so much sense.
Thanks heaps.

Bek NSW 10mth boy

Hi Bek
How did you get on with the pillow under the sheet.

Joanne, Oamaru, NZ, 4 Year Old, 16 Month Old

hi bek
my son is 5 months and he sleeps in the same bed as me sometimes. I have used a pillow since he was about 4months and he is fine. Now that he is starting to roll he usually ends up off the pillow. smile I sometimes put him back in his cot and i use the same low full size pillow he sleeps on and it's great coz he can't really fall off the sides that way, i know it sounds weird but i havn't had any problems.

Sue & Daewon 23.03.2004

My son is 11 and a half months old and is just, at times, starting to use a pillow. I have a tetra pillow in his cot. He can breath through the pillow if he ever pulls it over and it's ok for kids with allergies.
I find that he doesn't pull anything over him and when he has trouble breathing he moves or lets us know. But I've not had any problems as half the time we put him to sleep on the pillow and then he moves (within 5 mins) and we find down the other end of the cot. We don't cover him with blankets until we go to sleep because by this stage he's decided where he wants to sleeps (top or bottom of cot) and then he's settled for the rest of the night. This stops us from worrying if he will pull blankets over him or crawl under.

Bett, NSW, 2 boys & Twins 19.2.08

hey bett

that is a really good idea, not putting blankets on until later. My son is not so active as yet but i am sure we will be facing this later on. smile

Sue & Daewon 23.03.2004

Hey Sue,
My mum actually looked after him last night while we were at a wedding and I told her not to put blankets on him until later in the evening and when we got home the first thing she said to us was that she couldn't believe how he sleeps all over the whole bed LOL. So I guess you do what you've got to do smile

Bett, NSW, 2 boys & Twins 19.2.08

Sign in to follow this topic