Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Night Waking - Do they grow out of it and when?

Night Waking - Do they grow out of it and when? Lock Rss

Hi mummys,

I am wondering if any one out there has had some experience in the following...

My baby boy has never slept through the night he is 6 months old. We have tried pretty much every thing and are elbow deep in books and videos and fact sheets but nothing works. Bub wakes at least 4-5 times a night from going down at 7-730pm till 630am.

Is it possible that one day (soon) he might just start sleeping through without any intervention?? Has anyone had a miracle like this and if so how old was your bub when they made the switch? Or does this only happen after a few years of age.

Any stories would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou x

You poor bugger. I fantasised about DD sleeping through. We tried every-thing until 10 months, when I basically couldn't cope any-more so we did our last resort, control crying. After 3 nights of on and off crying, DD slept through - its been 3 months of bliss.

I've heard of lots of babies just suddenly realising that sleeping through is a cool thing to do. I have my fingers crossed for you sweet heart as I know how bad it can get for you. Best of luck.

DD is 3yr 8 months - DS is 6 months

my baby is the same as yours am wiching for the night she sleeps through

Shelley,sunshine Coast, 2 KIDLETS

Hi!

I found that starting the controlled crying was much easier during the day, when I was less stressed and able to withstand it (although it was hard without my husband there, doing it alone), and I did it when Nina was 3 months, and I had to teach her to sleep by herself, or spend the rest of my life with her asleep on my lap.

How are your boy's day sleeps? Once Nina learnt to send herself to sleep during the day, the nights improved automatically - because she learnt to settle herself she could go back to sleep by herself when she woke during the night. I found that once she had that skill she could comfort herself and resettle, day or night.

On the other hand, nothing with babies is simple - now she's 7 months and has recently been up in the night quite a bit - I've put it down to her learning to crawl and being all excited and unsettled by that development. But I'm confident we'll get back to normal!

I really feel for you having such hard nights, it's so draining - and I can tell you that when I taught Nina to sleep by herself during the day and the nights improved as a result, I certainly felt like it was a miracle! Better than winning Lotto to have a baby that sleeps.

Good luck!

This new forum is strange ...

Hi there,
My son is nearly 8mths and still wont sleep through either.
I aslo have tried all but with no sucsess.
I try every night when he wakes for at least one hour to resettle him before i give him the boob. He aslways has a big drink then i put him down and he normally goes off to sleep.
I think i might have to give the CC a go again now he is a bit older.
It's sooo frustrating getting broken sleep hey.

Rach

Rachael, Kobe 21/8/2005

Hi Natalie,
My little boy has only slept through the night about 6 times in 8 months, but he can go for 6,8 or 10 hours without a feed - so he is getting better.
I recently tried the controlled crying, but it is too distressing for both me and my little boy.
I recently read that it can be due to the food that he gets before he goes to bed, so I am trying to make sure that he has a good carbohydrate fix for his dinner in the evening.
I tried a bit of controlled crying when he was about 6 months old and it seemed much easier then, but due to things with work, we were not consistent with it, so it didn't work for us. So if you want to try that method, then I think the sooner the better.
Are you breast feeding or bottle feeding - can you give your bub water instead of milk when he wakes through the night?
I am looking forward to him sleeping through the night too - but am taking the long way round, as some other mums say that he is still very young and will eventually grow out of it.
I hope that you work something out for you and your bub soon.
cheers,

Sign in to follow this topic