Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

crying it out Lock Rss

hi all,
my baby is nearly 7 months and was still waking in the night once or twice and not settling without a breastfeed. we decided to let him cry it out as he didn;t seem to really be hungry, just looking for the comfort of the boob.
we are up to day 3 now. he gets better each night, the first night he cried for about 30-40 mins (twice), and last night about 15-20 mins before falling asleep again. he's just crying, not screaming hysterically so i am persevering.
anyone else done the same? sometimes i wonder if i'm doing the right thing leaving him, but it seems to be working. i'm hoping after another 2 or 3 nights we will have 'won'.
would like to hear how long it took other bubs to sleep all night themselves using this technique. we put him down at about 7.15 and i haven't gone back in until 7am, and oh my god - you should see my boobs by then!

Amanda - Lachie 30/9/05, Will 20/10/07

hi amanda,
my little boy is just on 5 months and we have been having a really hard time with his sleeping, (very dummy dependant), we had tried a sleep school for a day stay, controlled crying, and now we are doing the cry it out way.
I started on wednesday, he went to sleep for his usual 40 mins in the morning then woke, i didnt go into him and he cried and winged for 40 mins, then went to sleep for an hour and a half. In the afternoon he did the same but only cried for 30 mins, that night he slept from 7.30 to 4 and i only had to get up 1(the first time ever) he woke a few times but only winged and went back to sleep by himself. Yesterday it was 25 mins during the day and last night he did wake but i didnt get up to him, he settled himself after 10 mins.
Things seem to be going ok, my sister in law did the same with her son at 5 months and it only took her 2 weeks and now he is a brilliant sleeper. Dont feel bad, we are the ones that no what is best for our babies, goodluck, and please let me know how you are going with things.

pam,nsw, 13 months and 4 yo

I think if you can see an improvement then it is working and will take a few days to break the old cycles. Just try to get them to self settle in all his sleeps not just the middle of the night if you arent already.

I used to find that bubs would more so be whinging than crying so was easier to bear through and you will soon know if he is upset.

My bubs sometimes still wakes through the night and we often leave her for a couple of mins to see if she will go back to sleep herself or if not we pick her up give her a cuddle and put her back down and she will drift off again.

Best part is most sleeps now we can put her down and we dont hear a peep from her she just goes to sleep! Makes sleep time so much easier than the old struggles!
Hi Amanda,
Ok, with my daughter she slept throught the night from 10wks old but then about 8mnths old she started waking at night so i did the silly thing and gave her a bottle, i did this for a few weeks then it gradually built up to that she was waking 2-3times. so i wwent to my child nurse she advised basically in a controlled crying technique. so when she woke i went in and gave her dummy,tucked her in and said night and let her cry for 5mins then reenter and resettle then leave for about 10mins then i had to reenter i always then gave her only water and resettled. Thid went on for about 3hrs the first night, then down to 1.5hrs the second night then she only woke once the third night and she is still sleeping throught now.
i did feel guilty letting her cry but i was depressed and a 1st time mum only learning so you live and learn and noone is perfect. well thats my story
cheers!!!!!!
good luck every!

teegan_wa_ cheyenne 26/10/04 & domenic10/2/06

Hi Amanda I have done it a few times and it does work and when I first did it with my daughter she scream the whole house down and I cried with her but I was in the lounge but I havent done it for awhile but if it works for you keep doing it cause every baby is different and it sounds like it is working and having a big improvement with your darling.

Your poor boobs they would be full with milk and I know how that feels and it feels like they a going to explose with all the milk.

Chat soon.

Tracey,Jaye (girl)12/06/05, Sam (boy)10/07/09

Sign in to follow this topic