Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Waking at 5am Rss

My DD goes to bed every night at 7pm, by this stage she is tired and ready for sleep and goes down without any problems. Though roll on 5.30 she is awake and ready to start the day. I have tried putting her back to bed and she will play for 1/2 hour or so but then start crying to get up. How can I stop this? Will putting her to bed later help? What do you think???
Hey Rowie - the dreaded 5am - grrrrrrrrrr. I think its good that you put bubs back to bed, even if she plays for half an hour. Can I ask what you do at 5am when she wakes? I mean, do you feed her then put her back or just cuddle/settle?

Personally, I don't think putting her to bed later will make a difference, but doesn't mean its not worth a shot. I think you just need to be persistant after the 5am wake and hopefully your bub will realise its not time to get up and if wakes, self settles. However, how to make her do that is the mystery - lol.

Do you have any music on for your DD when you put her down? I do find that on the rare occasion DD wakes up early and wont self settle that I give her a quick cuddle, put her music on and lay her back down. Usually thats enough for her to not off for another couple of hours. Having said that, I bet I have jynxed myself for tomorrow - lol.

DD is 3yr 8 months - DS is 6 months

snap!! our little one also does this though we were unlucky that it was around 4am that she was doing it, and this morning it was 5:30am! Not too sure why as it is still dark and quiet. I think that she may have just had enough sleep and is time for her to wake up.I am not a fan of putting her to bed late as I she is pretty tired like your little one also. Even if her daytime sleeps are reduced she still wakes at this time. She used to be our alarm clock for 6am for months on end.... I don't know what the solution is, you could try giving her a small bottle to see if she will go back to sleep, she may be a bit peckish and just need that little bit in her tummy before having breakfast at the usual time....you aren't alone though, the early starts are hard when it is dark and cold!

SJ xx
Hey there
Your not alone
My DD also wakes either 3, 4 or 5am, if its 3 or 4 I will feed and put back to bed, if its 5, I just start the day, I know its early, but hey, if I put her down at 5.30 her day naps are usually bad etc.... start going to bed at 8pm, I am, I know there are things to do but we need our rest too....
Hi there - I cant believe that I am going to say this but I only just said to my husband this morning that the 5am starts were good compared to what is happening now!!! Harry will wake either at 3am, 4am or 5am if it is 6am it is a sleep in !!!! Crazy isnt it?!!

We have given up trying to work out why, he goes to bed at 7pm everynight, is a good eater, has regular day sleeps (not too long) and is generally a happy baby. I know sometimes it is teething as this really bothers him but otherwise it is unclear.

We have great trouble settling once he is awake. We just do what we can but sometimes it is just getting him through to a time that we can get up for the day, usually between 5-6am and my husband sometimes takes him fo a walk in the pram.

Fun times hey?!

SA mum, Lis 17/6/00 and Harry 19/6/05

My daughter goes to bed at 9.00 and normally wakes up at 5.30 when her dad goes to work and she will normally goes back to sleep and sometimes when she waken up during the night she would want to play for a while so I play her til she has had enough and sometimes she has sleep to 8.00 when she has played during the night cause she is so tired from playing.

Tracey,Jaye (girl)12/06/05, Sam (boy)10/07/09

Sign in to follow this topic