Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Fed to Sleep Rss

Hi everyone,
I am finding it easy to get my son (5.5 months) to sleep at night while feeding. I put him into bed and i give him the bottle which he holds himself until he falls asleep. Is this a bad habit to form? I have also heard that feeding while lying down can cause ear infections? He goes to sleep really well, but i have doubts about this technique.

Sue & Daewon 23.03.2004

Hi Dae Dae

I have heard that feeding laying down can cause ear infections, because the milk can dribble down into the ear canal where bacteria forms. My daughter has an ear infection at the moment, but i dont feed her lying down, so who knows?? I have no idea how she got the infection. It could be the time of year with the pollen floating around in the air. Ear infections are pretty common in babies and oddlers, but let me tell you they are not very pleasant!!!!
I have also heard this is really bad for their teeth and the sugars (or whatever) in the milk rot their teeth - this was from a dentist

maybe you can give him his bottle and then put him in his cot?

Steph

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

yes i have heard this too and i guess the fact that he doesn't have teeth yet has made me ignore the fact that it can become a habit for when he does have teeth.
Last night i tried a new technique and fortunately it works wonders. He was tired and so i feed him in my arms but he wasn't settling when i put him in his cot so i got him up and read him a story, well only i was listening but when i put him down he was gone within 5 mins and i finally got a good 8 hours sleep grin so i didn't know why i didn't try it earlier, i guess i was the lazy one wink .

Thanx for the replies ladies smile

Sue & Daewon 23.03.2004

Sign in to follow this topic