Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. 10 and 1/2 mth old waking anywhere between 3am and 6am, no 2 nights are the same!!!

10 and 1/2 mth old waking anywhere between 3am and 6am, no 2 nights are the same!!! Rss

Hi all - little Harry is a very unpredictable sleeper and we find no 2 nights are the same, does anyone else have this problem with this age baby?!

He goes to bed at 7pm every night with a bottle, sleeps well until 5-6 am most days however every 2nd or 3rd night will wake at 3am and it is VERY difficult to get him back to sleep. We have tried nearly everything, from rocking, patting to mild controlled comforting (only ever 20 minutes maximum).
What we find tho is that he often just '"chats" then lets out a bit of a cry, then it escalates as we go in to settle him. Obviously if he is sick or teething we give gel and panadol and lots of cuddles but I know that some nights it is behavioural.

For example last night he was up at 4am, we ended up doing controlled comforting and he was back asleep by 4.50am and slept until 6.45am. He never really cried in a distressed way he was just awake and giving protest cries!!

It is made complicated by the fact I dont want him to wake our nearly 6yr old as she goes to school and gets very tired if woken too early.

We are quite tired as a result too and never know what sort of nigh we are going to have!!!

e

SA mum, Lis 17/6/00 and Harry 19/6/05

If it's any consolation I have a 10 month old daughter who was THE best sleeper until the past couple of weeks. It's round about the same times your son wakes up that our daughter wakes up. It's insane isn't it? I've been told that at this age they're apparently more aware of everything. It's like they want to play, but don't, it's very tiring. You said you have a 6yr old you don't want woken up, I totally understand. Only I'm pregnant and back at work and can't cope with these sort of nights.

I have done a bit of experimenting and found if she's too hot she'll wake up, also if she's too cold. But at this time of the year it's very hard to know what to put them to sleep in.

I'm sorry I'm of no help to you whatsoever, but you do have a friend in the same boat, if it makes you feel any better.

Barb - Daughter born 26/06-05 No# 2 due 17 Sep 06

Sign in to follow this topic