Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. What age to start a routine?

What age to start a routine? Lock Rss

Hi, DS#2 is 3 weeks old, and I'm wondering when to start a more strict routine. What ages have other mums started routines? I've read that you shouldn't start til at least 8 weeks old, but I'm sure I started DS1 earlier, but I can't remember, and he's only 20mths old!!! DS1 was a great sleeper, and i'm pretty sure it was because of the routine he had, so I want to try & do the same with DS2. Any ideas?

Hi, DS#2 is 3 weeks old, and I'm wondering when to start a more strict routine. What ages have other mums started routines? I've read that you shouldn't start til at least 8 weeks old, but I'm sure I started DS1 earlier, but I can't remember, and he's only 20mths old!!! DS1 was a great sleeper, and i'm pretty sure it was because of the routine he had, so I want to try & do the same with DS2. Any ideas?

I am trying to implement a routine with DS2 now (7weeks) but I wish I started earlier. I think the reason some say to wait is due to demand feeding, but you can still start a general sleep routine and once the feeding gets more regular, work that in also. DS2 is FF so he has fed every 3-4 hours since birth anyway, well, mostly smile
I started my DS on a routine (from Tizzie Hall's Save Our Sleep book) at 7 days old.

In the book she basically advised that if you are breastfeeding and can't express milk to build up your milk supply in non growth spurt weeks, then you will have trouble sticking to the feeding part of the routine during your baby's growth spurts, up till about 7 weeks old. But even if you can't stick to the feeding routine during a growth spurt you should still be able to follow the sleeping routine.
Hi there,

My DD is 2 and a half and has been in her routine from the moment i bought her home, 8pm started as quiet time in her cot n then eventually ended up bed time in 2weeks or so, mind you she was a fantastic baby n slept through from that moment on..

My DS is 18 months n his bed time is 6.30, purely because he just loves his sleep n anylater n hes falling asleep playing or whatever hes up to...

In saying this though i have been very lucky to have wonderful sleepers, but I started them as soon as we got home even now my children are at home everynight at 6.30 for DS bed time no matter whats on the agenda I moulded around my children as much as they had to mould into their routine..

but I would be starting them....just in baby steps

Hiya!

I started a routine with my daughter when she was 4 weeks old - I had read 8 weeks too in a book, but wanted to give it a go to see - and it worked! Best thing I have ever done for both bubs and me smile I used the Save our Sleep Routine by Tizzie Hall.

Good luck! smile
put ds on a routine at 3 months.

put dd on a routine as soon as she came home from the hossy.

worked great - we got ours from Tizzie Hall too
I put my DS on a routine at 6 months once his sleep cycle started to change and he wasn't getting the right amount of sleep a day. Prior to this he had put himself on a great routine but then got sick and it all went out the window. Once on the routine it within 3 days he went from only getting 9 hours sleep total for the ENTIRE 24 hrs to sleeping through the night (12 hours) and having his regular day sleeps giving him up to 16 hours sleep a day.

He is now 13 months old and is still sleeping through PERFECTLY 7pm to 7am.

I don't believe in a "Strict" routine for babies under 6 months because their needs are still changing heaps (I demand fed until 5 months when we went to the bottle) but I found that my DS essentially put himself on a routine from about 4 weeks of age. He fed at the same times every day, bathed at same time, I read him a story at the same time. If your child knows what to expect then they relax and will settle straight into your regular routine.

I used the Dream Baby book by Sheyenne Rowley which allowed me to fix the sleep deprivation he had going on. I would HUG this woman if I met her!
I put my baby on Tizzie Hall's routine at about 9 weeks. It was the best thing I ever did..
I've read the Save our Sleep book while i was pregnant and thought it was the most fantastic book out there.

I had planned on using it from the moment we were home from hospital but my little girl has managed to get her self into a good routine by herself.

They say that babies begin to form habits by 6 weeks. So i think the recommendation for 8 weeks maybe to examine and then to adjust the habits they form themselves.

The one thing i def use everyday from the book is her settling routines though!
my son is 7.5 months and we arent on a strict routine he is still growing and changing and teething so basicly he sleeps around the same time every day maybe half an hour to an hour either way but at night we have a bed routine and thats at the same time every night.
just follow what your child wants they form a routine.
my son made his own routine smile and has been sleeping for 10hours + from 8weeks old.

some of my friends 8mth olds dont sleep as well as him! guess it depends on the child.

one thing i did want to know tho with babies on a routine ???

say you always feed baby 6pm then bath him 6.30pm then bed at 7pm every night... what happens if your busy and your out with baby and you dont get home till 7pm??? i have just always wondered how people do it!! does it create a total melt down?? smile do you just have to be home every night at the same time and do the same thing for it to work?

i think im dreaming but i want a 'sort of' routine lol that changes around what im doing smile
With DS there was no way he could have had a routine as he was very unsettled - colic, reflux etc he was 5 months when we had one but that was after a week at a sleep school.

With DD she's very settled i liker her to have 2 good 2-3 hour sleeps a day at least but not as strict as i was with DS. I follow the rule of 1.5-2 hours up adn then bed which usually is just perfect for her. I have her in bed 6.30-7pm

it def all depends on your baby (if they are settled or not). personally i wouldnt be too strict with times at such a young age but you can def start to develop a routine between 4-6 months.
Sign in to follow this topic