Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Am I doing the right thing?

Am I doing the right thing? Lock Rss

ummmm just want to point out something here

she has been asleep for 8 hours when she wakes at 3am they can't tell the time they are just hungry. do you have something to eat or drink before bed....... i do about 10pm and also drink water through the night. say i go to bed about 10pm i could be up again at 6.30am and i am hungry, and it prob been 8 hours since i last ate.....just feed her if she goes back to sleep..... personally i don't care if i am feeding during the night..... they wake you feed they go to sleep easy really.....

I am fully breastfeeding and have done with my last two and also worked while getting up at night.... also this made my kids happy and content and actually slept longer in the morning....

by the way i sometimes have to give my 3 year old a drink of milk during the night maybe once a month if she wakes and wants it i give.......... whatever is easiest for me...... and having a baby crying for something simple like food is not an issue for me because i feed them before the get really awake.....

Ummm sound a bit condescending there....arent you superwoman!

I'm not neglecting my daughters need for food or drink. No I dont eat or drink anything I'm usually asleep by 930. And stop subtly having a go as if I'm not doing it right! Yes I work as well as having my partner away!

There has been a few times when she has slept through. At times she doesnt know if she's arthur or martha. Very up and down when it comes to feeding.
I'm just going to go with it for another couple of nights and see where she's at then if it's not working then I'll leave her be with her 3 am feeds.

AM NO LONGER TINKERING WITH THE TICKER HMPH!

I'm not neglecting my daughters need for food or drink. No I dont eat or drink anything I'm usually asleep by 930. And stop subtly having a go as if I'm not doing it right! Yes I work as well as having my partner away!

There has been a few times when she has slept through. At times she doesnt know if she's arthur or martha. Very up and down when it comes to feeding.
I'm just going to go with it for another couple of nights and see where she's at then if it's not working then I'll leave her be with her 3 am feeds.

never said anything condescending..... just said what i do really..... if you want to take it that way thats fine.... you asked for advice and I said what i did..... for me if my children have been asleep for 8 hours and want i drink i give it to them.... anything to get them to sleep again they are only little after all. Also I don't do little quite digs either its not in my nature. It is actually what you have read into what i have written.

As for being superwomen thankyou for the high praise.
Yes you are being condescending. You started right off the bat with a sarcastic ummm point something out here....

Perhaps you should word things a little more carefully lots of people will interpret your post as having attitude and being condescending. Just sounded like you knew it all and you were better and that I was neglecting my childs needs. And my superwoman comment was sarcasm. Go ruin someone elses thread with your inept ability to not sound rude. mellow

AM NO LONGER TINKERING WITH THE TICKER HMPH!

I don't see subzero as being condacending at all, she was trying to point out why she feels that way, maybe had she just written feed her you would have liked it betetr, but I tend to agree with her, all babies are different,

My eldest until 18mth woke between 4-5 am for a drink of milk, if I refused he was up for the day having it anyway, if I gave it to him, he drank it and was asleep straightaway, I found it quicker and easier to give it...

My 2nd slept 8pm - 8 am from 8 wks and NEVER woke for a feed....

My 3rd would go down at 8, wake for a feed at midnight, SOMETIMES she went back to sleep but most night was awake until the next feed at 4am and then back to sleep at 5am and then I got up for the day with my others at 6am,..... she did this for 14mths and grew out of it on her own....

I DID try a lot of mehtodas with her, she was a snuggler and she needed comfort, even now at almost 3 she wakes through the night and likes to know we are there, I don't really believe babies wake for no reason whatsoever, and I would keep giving her a bottle if it were me.... even if she just needs a bit of a cuddle to go back to sleep, the all grow out of their bad habits eventually

I don't see subzero as being condacending at all, she was trying to point out why she feels that way, maybe had she just written feed her you would have liked it betetr, but I tend to agree with her, all babies are different,

Thankyou ~Me*Myself*I~....... you can't help what others read into your post.....

Noone had said you are neglecting your childs need for food or drink.. Though what there saying is that they couldnt NOT give there child food or a drink when they wake up if they want it.. With babies how does someone know that there baby isnt hungry or thirsty NOONE does as if they could talk you would know.. When she is crying put her on your breast and I bet she will feed even if it is for comfort, babies need to know that you are there for them no matter what, thats how they start to trust you..
Dont take this the wrong way, its not meant to sound rude or anything like that

Noone had said you are neglecting your childs need for food or drink.. Though what there saying is that they couldnt NOT give there child food or a drink when they wake up if they want it.. With babies how does someone know that there baby isnt hungry or thirsty NOONE does as if they could talk you would know.. When she is crying put her on your breast and I bet she will feed even if it is for comfort, babies need to know that you are there for them no matter what, thats how they start to trust you..
Dont take this the wrong way, its not meant to sound rude or anything like that

very well said, no one said you are doing the wrong thing, hell I know a lot who swear by letting them cry it out and giving only water..... I tried giving only water with 2 of mine and the poor buggers WERE starving so I never did it after that and went with what I felt was right which is whgat YOU need to do, go with what YOU feel comfortable with but at 8mth she may simply be not ready to sleep through yet
Likrish, i'm with you, sounded quite condescending to me too. to say
'they wake you feed they go to sleep easy really.....' if it was so bloody easy we wouldn't have so many threads on this, honestly!!!
i am feeding my 7month old a couple of times a night, but i am so scared that he will still be waking every night until he is nearly 4, like his brother did. So Likrish you have every right to ask for some helpful hints its scary sometimes and you just want to know you are doing the right thing. All the best.

Likrish, i'm with you, sounded quite condescending to me too. to say
'they wake you feed they go to sleep easy really.....' if it was so bloody easy we wouldn't have so many threads on this, honestly!!!
i am feeding my 7month old a couple of times a night, but i am so scared that he will still be waking every night until he is nearly 4, like his brother did. So Likrish you have every right to ask for some helpful hints its scary sometimes and you just want to know you are doing the right thing. All the best.

But it IS that easy really, babies don't wake up cos they feel like it, they generally do it for a reason, I look at it in the respect that if I wake up with a fright and feel scared I wake DH (if he is home, otherwise I will turn a light on and calm down), if I wake up thirsty I get up and get a drink, I have a toddler that on the odd occassion will wake me cos she feels uncomfortable in a wet nappy and my 5yo will yell out til I wake up cos she wants ME to put her blanket back on her as she knows I will give her another kiss and cuddle etc.... they generally wake for a reason and we should fulfill that reason, ALL babies are different, and will sleep for different periods of time..... I dont feel YOU can drop a babys feed the baby needs to do it, by all means try some warm water instead (this was recommended to me) or let her cry it out... but people simply came on here and said that at 8 mths baby might not be ready to sleep through yet and it is completely normal

But it IS that easy really, babies don't wake up cos they feel like it, they generally do it for a reason, I look at it in the respect that if I wake up with a fright and feel scared I wake DH (if he is home, otherwise I will turn a light on and calm down), if I wake up thirsty I get up and get a drink, I have a toddler that on the odd occassion will wake me cos she feels uncomfortable in a wet nappy and my 5yo will yell out til I wake up cos she wants ME to put her blanket back on her as she knows I will give her another kiss and cuddle etc.... they generally wake for a reason and we should fulfill that reason, ALL babies are different, and will sleep for different periods of time..... I dont feel YOU can drop a babys feed the baby needs to do it, by all means try some warm water instead (this was recommended to me) or let her cry it out... but people simply came on here and said that at 8 mths baby might not be ready to sleep through yet and it is completely normal

quite right my 9 year old woke at 4am this morning and was wondering around the kitchen getting himself a drink.... he takes a water bottle to bed normally... as do i.... and i get up to go to the loo....

Babies don't just wake and say "I know how to upset mum" I know heaps of babies that do wake during the night. sleeping through for a baby is 6 hours..... you are getting the six hours by 1am in the morning so your actually getting a bonus if the baby sleeps longer than that.
me*myself*i,i know it is easy to feed your baby when they are hungry and wake up and need you. Im just saying that sometimes people don't find raising a baby 'easy' and therefore they ask questions to see if they are doing the right thing.
If likrish read subzeros response as condescending than she wouldn't be the first she has been critised before for speaking down to people.
I imagine right now likrish feels like an absolute s**t for even asking the question.
my kids wake with night terrors or for a drink, or a cuddle and thats fine, they need you.
but her question was simple as a first time mum, should she control cry or feed her baby. Likrish do what you need to do and what is best for you and your baby.

me*myself*i,i know it is easy to feed your baby when they are hungry and wake up and need you. Im just saying that sometimes people don't find raising a baby 'easy' and therefore they ask questions to see if they are doing the right thing.
If likrish read subzeros response as condescending than she wouldn't be the first she has been critised before for speaking down to people.
I imagine right now likrish feels like an absolute s**t for even asking the question.
my kids wake with night terrors or for a drink, or a cuddle and thats fine, they need you.
but her question was simple as a first time mum, should she control cry or feed her baby. Likrish do what you need to do and what is best for you and your baby.

I understnad that but I am being honest in saying I do not know why that particular post was singled out, it basically said what others had said with a little more detail and I thought informative, she asked should she let her cry it out or feed, people answered with their opinions, I am sorry the OP got offended, but the post WAS actually informative, giving reasons why she should feed....

Anyway, not going to keep wondering in circles, off to mop the floors instead
Sign in to follow this topic