Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Am I doing the right thing?

Am I doing the right thing? Lock Rss

My baby is 8 and a half months old and still wakes once to twice a night for a feed also. I wanted to ween her as I thought the same as you and I go back to work in a month and am a shift worker, but the Dr told me,like some of the other mums have said, that it is normal for some babies to wake once a night until they are 12-18m old. So I give her a feed. But if she wakes up twice, I either try to calm her (usually not successfully) or give her a minute feed and she goes straight back to sleep.

I agree with this completly! I am a first time mother and my daughter is almost 3 months and has her last feed around 10pm.
She sleeps threw the night most night for the past 2 weeks, if she wakes up I pick her up for a minute and pat her bum and she is back to a deap sleep!
Im not saying you should be picking them up all hours of the night, but i honesly believe that they do wake from habit.

dd2 is 8mnths and i was at my wits ends with her waking up all night the dr asked me what i was feeding her and when i did he said that she wasnt hungry she was waking as habit and the feed was comfort. he told us to control cry now at this age (she was about 6mnths) to break the habit. we did it and after about a week she slept soundly, she only wakes now when teething or sick.

Hey, I think your doing the right thing by letting DD cry it out, I have just had my 3rd child and at 10 weeks she was sleeping 9-11 hrs every night,(my eldest 2 were just as good) she went through a phase were at around 3-4o'clock she would wake and grizzle abit, I stayed in bed and listened but after about 10-15 minutes she would go back to sleep this went on for a few nights, but stopped and she hasn't done it again. If you no they are fully feed at nights, then I don't see anything wrong with abit of "tough LOVE". Habbits happen over night but seem to take ages to break!

I'm astounded! I see some of you have been told this is habit and for comfort but that doesn't mean the dr is right.
Caitiemkayz - a 3mth old is supposed to wake during the night. Their tummies are only little so if your baby is waking, it needs to be fed.
us3girls - As others have said earlier in this thread, it is perfectly normal for babies to wake during the night before (and even after) 12 mths of age. I'd be changing drs personally.
Olivia.G - you are very lucky to have a 10week old sleeping through! However, just because it happens for a few nights at a time doesn't mean that when they do wake they don't need to be fed.

I see many posters blamed the night feed as "just for comfort" ???? So that makes it okay to deny it because it's not hunger? BABIES NEED COMFORT!!!!
I know we all need our sleep. I'm a total zombie if I'm up in the night. However as I chose to have children, night-wakings and being tired was part of the package. I certainly didn't expect to have uninterrupted sleep.
I think this is another example of the whole 'keeping up with the jones' thing. Wanting our bubs to sleep through.

Id LOVE my DD to sleep through the night (Shes 2 months) and for awhile i kept asking different mums "when did yours sleep through?" and hoping i would have a baby who did. I just kept focusing on it so much but what i didnt realise is my DD will sleep 8 hrs most nights. Wake for a feed at 4am then be back to sleep 30 mins later and will sleep to approx 6 am. I never used to realise how lucky i was with the hours she is sleeping until i met some ladies with bubs the same age and none of theres were sleeping 8 hrs.

What i mean is ALL babys are different and you cant force them to sleep, eat and do what you want them to do WHEN you want them to.

I do agree (to some extent) that some babies may wake out of habit but i do think most will wake for a reason.

Theres no rush to make your babies grow up smile

Im always tired but ive learn to live with it. I chose to have a baby smile

Every mother does things differently and it works for different babies!

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
i dreamfed both my bubs at 10.30 to help them sleep through the night. they both started to sleep through at 4 months. if they woke up even after a df then i still fed them. more so because i would hate for them to really be hungry and not be satisfied. i dont know whether the df worked or whether they would have started sleeping through at that time anyways.

my dd is 8.5 months and still wakes up 1-2 times a night and i feed her. my health care nurse said to do the same though i dont want to do that as what if they really are hungry...? i will feed her until she grows out of it which im sure she will.. just my opinion, hope you figure it out

I will only 'refuse' a feed if its been less than 2 hrs since the last one. I try the dummy 5 times, and if no luck then I feed.
We cosleep so no need to get up.

So 2 weeks straight. Its been fabulous. She's happier as her sleep isnt broken and I'm happier because I'm catching up on much needed sleep. If my partner didnt work away then I would have probably kept feeding her at 3 am. After 4 weeks of being the sole carer it tends to catch up with me. I was a zombie most days and couldnt concentrate, I was clumsy and I felt run down. I was desperate to get her to sleep through. Now she is I enjoy my days more. I have more energy.

I am happy to get up to her when she needs me. Yes I decided to have a baby and thats what babies do I got that concept. It's just nice when things run a little smoother. I enjoy being a mum more & its not feeling like a job now.

Happy days.

AM NO LONGER TINKERING WITH THE TICKER HMPH!

So 2 weeks straight. Its been fabulous. She's happier as her sleep isnt broken and I'm happier because I'm catching up on much needed sleep. If my partner didnt work away then I would have probably kept feeding her at 3 am. After 4 weeks of being the sole carer it tends to catch up with me. I was a zombie most days and couldnt concentrate, I was clumsy and I felt run down. I was desperate to get her to sleep through. Now she is I enjoy my days more. I have more energy.

I am happy to get up to her when she needs me. Yes I decided to have a baby and thats what babies do I got that concept. It's just nice when things run a little smoother. I enjoy being a mum more & its not feeling like a job now.

Happy days.

well done to you for being so pro active! now you are reaping the rewards and enjoying motherhood even more. good job.
Two things about my opinion: Your DD doesn't need a night feed at her age and I am a CIO supporter.

That said, I would suggest weaning her off that feed rather than making her CIO. You can have it done in a week and without the tears. Say she wakes for 120ml at 3 every night. "Wake" her at 2 instead and feed her 100ml the first night, 80 the second (etc) until she no longer gets food. Try to dream feed her and make sure that the food she would normally be getting at 3 is now given during the day.

She is habit feeding as you suspect but you should feed a hungry baby, even if by all right she shouldn't be hungry. CIO is a way to teach a sleepy baby how to sleep, not to teach her that she isn't going to get what she wants. There'll be enough of those tears in the years to come....

Sign in to follow this topic