Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Why is there so much pressure on babies

Why is there so much pressure on babies Lock Rss

I'm one of those mothers that other mother's love to hate. My DD has been sleeping through the night since she was 3 months old. From 3 months she started sleeping 7-8 hours and by 4 months she was sleeping anywhere from 12-15 hours a night and still is! I haven't done anything special, I don't drug my child (which some hilarious people have suggested smile )she just likes to sleep! When other mother's ask me what I do to make her sleep that long I can't give them an answer. Then there's the mother's that want to hurt me lol

I think the pressure to have babies sleep right though is really old school. And maybe it's a bit of the sleep deprivation kicking in too.
[quote name='7wildmonkeys' date='07 February 2011 - 03:40 PM' timestamp='1297060853' post='2911817']
There is this book series. Raising kids Gods way.lol And seriously by 8 weeks they expect that your baby is sleeping through and if they aren't you aren't the best parent.lol As you are letting the child control you. LOL[/quote]
Thats the Ezzos isn't it? What they advocate is freaking child abuse! [url=http://www.mysmiley.net][img]http://serve.mysmi...]

I'm one of those mothers that other mother's love to hate. My DD has been sleeping through the night since she was 3 months old. From 3 months she started sleeping 7-8 hours and by 4 months she was sleeping anywhere from 12-15 hours a night and still is! I haven't done anything special, I don't drug my child (which some hilarious people have suggested smile )she just likes to sleep! When other mother's ask me what I do to make her sleep that long I can't give them an answer. Then there's the mother's that want to hurt me lol

I think the pressure to have babies sleep right though is really old school. And maybe it's a bit of the sleep deprivation kicking in too.

Number 3 was exactly the same. Sleeping through from 6 weeks and she still loves her sleep. She's always the first to sleep and always the last up lol
My 3rd child didnt sleep through the night til she was 2 years old, then she was toilet trained, right round the clock in nickers, now nearly four years old, and wakes everynight once or twice to get up and go wee's, having to wake mummy or daddy up to tuck her back into bed..
I also have a 10 year old that sleep walks nearly everynight, I have to get up and take him back to his bed.. hmmm then i have miss 10 months who is joyfully sleeping most nights but shares a room with miss nearly four, and wakes her up at wee time get ups... then i have Mr 8 who is a sleeping gem, he sleeps right through eerynight and all the night time kaos! Anyway the moral to my story, 10 years on and i still dont have a soild sleeping house hold.!

As the topic says smile

I've seen so many threads around and spoken with people in real life that want to know how to make their young baby sleep through the night... Why is it such a high expectation from alot of parents that their child will do this from a couple of weeks or months old??!!

Yeah in an ideal world all babies would sleep through from day dot but that just doesn't happen for most babies. Who cares if they wake up once or twice a night for a bottle lol or if they just want a cuddle? When I was pregnant with my first I never once expected that i would get 12hrs sleep a night or even 8hrs, that just seems silly to me when you have this little person to look after who knows nothing of the world yet!

Sometimes I wake up for a drink during the night or because I'm uncomfortable or because I had a bad dream, why would it be any different for a baby?!

Anyways, that's my thoughts for this afternoon grin grin

ETA: This is most definately not directed at anyone on here or in particular! Just something I've been thinking about of late given that I only have 5wks til my next baby is due!!

I agree with you as baby are unpredictable little creatures.

I do understand people with more than one child trying to get their baby to sleep through the night as early as possible. They dont want to neglect their other children due to sleep deprivation. Lack of energy and crankiness we all know are caused by lack of sleep. Driving kids tired can be dangerous. I do understand both sides but theres nothing in the world like a good nights sleep smile

There is this book series. Raising kids Gods way.lol And seriously by 8 weeks they expect that your baby is sleeping through and if they aren't you aren't the best parent.lol As you are letting the child control you. LOL

In my church there were about 10 parents that did this. I didn't as I dont like to hear my bubs cry. But mine took till they were 10 months old to sleep through and they looked perky I looked ***.lol

Maybe they were right and I was wrong.

Getting to the point.lol I dont understand the pressure. Also I sometimes had some special moment with my kids at night. smile

google 'gentle Christian mothers' much better for our kids
The Ezzos have been kicked out of their church, due to their 'teachings' and their own children dont speak to them, so NOT a good example of parenting, let alone CHRISTIAN parenting!

Thats the Ezzos isn't it? What they advocate is freaking child abuse!

Yes, but they're just misunderstood don't ya know! tongue

To the OPp I'm not quite sure how having a child who 'sleeps through the night' became the barometer of how good a parent you are but IMO it's ridiculous to think that how well your child does, or doesn't sleep, has anything to do with how good a parent you are. wacko

DS1 is the heaviest sleeper in the world.......the ceiling could fall in on him and I don't think he'd wake up. blink DS2 on the other hand......he 'slept through' earlier than his brother, but then he stopped sleeping full-stop and now we are hit and miss in the sleep department. It's hard and it's frustrating at times but we choose to parent him a certain way and as my expectations have shifted, so has the ability to cope with the sometimes frequent night waking for days/weeks/months at a time.

Thats the Ezzos isn't it? What they advocate is freaking child abuse!

MMMMMM those are the words I told my husband.lol

I read one of the books after being given it and OMG I dont think I could be like that. Apparently they are misunderstood.lol
Is your baby sleeping through the night? are they in their own room? are they on solids yet? are they sitting yet? are they crawling yet? are they walking yet? are they talking yet? are they writing yet? are they counting yet? are they sky diving yet? are they climbing everest yet?

Oh the joys of the YETS? that deem you to be a good mummy......
Thank you for all the replies smile

It's nice to get some other views and input on things. As for this Ezzo business blink blink I just had a looksie at it... Parent controlled feeding for an infant?

Well, as they say, each to their own I suppose lol
We have been lucky with DS he starting sleeping 6-10 hours a night from 2 weeks old and now at almost 7 months old it's about 6-8 hours sleep a night! When he wakes if he's not asleep in 10 min I know that he wants a bottle and mummy cuddles, I love getting up in the early hours of the morning because it's our time smile I only get 4 hours sleep a night because I just dont sleep very well at all so I'm sleep deprived but it's my own fault haha I'd love it if DS woke up with me then I'd have company smile we never pressured him into it also he self settled within the first month which made me upset because I love cuddling him to sleep, we've never done controlled crying as I don't believe in it and I wouldn't be strong enough to do it. So I'm guessing if I have another baby I don't think it will be this easy tongue
The Ezzos are definitely wacko wacko wacko

And how successful were they using their approach you ask...well I have heard that their kids don't speak to their parents anymore.

Sign in to follow this topic