Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Can someone help me Lock Rss

I need some help with my DD, she cries and cries till she is picked up and cuddles and then falls asleep within liturally 45 seconds, but untill i pick her up she bawls...

Is there a way or something to make them settle themselves without being cuddled?

I need some help with my DD, she cries and cries till she is picked up and cuddles and then falls asleep within liturally 45 seconds, but untill i pick her up she bawls...

Is there a way or something to make them settle themselves without being cuddled?

I dont think at this age just letting her settle herself is the best thing. Maybe all she needs and wants is just a cuddle?? And if she falls asleep so fast then I don't think it would be too much of a hassle or worry. Maybe there is another way but usually when my DD cried out I would just pick her up like yourself and give her a hug or sing her a song and just put her straight back to bed smile
DS was pretty easy, but as soon as I put him down, I would pat or rock him and he would settle, gradually I left him earlier and earlier until I could put him in his cot and he would go to sleep

Try laying her on her side, have one hand on her shoulder and the other hand gently patting and tapping her bottom.
Haha sorry i didnt full explain why...
When i do cuddle her and get her to sleep, i then have to sit there for atleast 45min till she is dead to the world to put her down... Any sooner she wakes up and does it all over again, only each time i cuddle her after than it takes 5 minutes more >.<
Enjoy those cuddles now while shes still small enough to rock to sleep wink
yip i cuddle i rock and i pace..... it is such a short time that they need you.... I would be leaving her to cry like that she is tooo little, she prob feels abandoned..... there are times you have to like if you need to go to the loo but alas I have found myself sitting on the loo with baby over shoulder...

when my wee dude hit 4 and half months he seemed to get into a better groove...... until then we rock , cuddle and pace...

Try laying her on her side, have one hand on her shoulder and the other hand gently patting and tapping her bottom.

That's what NGALA told me to do from around 6 months (omly because I didn't go earlier). Up until then DD was exactly the same. I carried her in a sling during nap times just so she could sleep.

Good luck, things always get better!

Enjoy those cuddles now while shes still small enough to rock to sleep wink

I agree smile I miss those sleepy cuddles from DS1, though I'm now enjoying them with DS2. Ruby Gloom is right - the day will come too fast that they no longer want you.

Hi,

I know how exhausting it can be having had two very unsettled sleepers¨!

I went to a settling class run by the local community centre, and although what I was told was just plain obvious it made it easier to do it on my own.

With my youngest I only just recently got him settled. It took about a day but may take longer with different babes. I just did the routine cuddle song then put him down and left him for a minute, u can tell the difference between the talking themselves to sleep and the crying. With the real crying I just went in,not leaving him too long on his own. Then I picked him up quick cuddle then back down pat rub his back. Then he would usually stand up so I cuddle him again and do it all over again. It took two hours the first night then he knew it was sleep time from then on and would just cry a little bit and go on his own.

It is very exhausting so best to do it on a weekend when the next day you can rest if ur partner or a friend can be there. It really is worth. It is grat to have cuddles when tehy are young but not when ur cursing them for needing you so much!!

good luck.
Hi,
I have just been through the exact same thing with my 4 month old. I finally rang Plunket, what they told me was very simple, but being sleep deprived I hadn't thought of it.
We were trying to rock, swing, nurse our DD to sleep, the more we did the more upset she got. I tried wind stuff, teething stuff, even panadole, but it has worked out the more we were doing to her the more overtired she was getting. Plunket said that some babies simply need to switch off by themselves. So at the first sight of her tired sign, which for her is she starts to 'talk', I wrapped her up, took her into her room and put her into her cot. I gave her the dummy and just left me hand on her chest. She fussed a bit, but never cried, this went on for about 10 mins, then she just stared into space and then 5 mins later she was asleep. She woke again after 40 mins, I just went in and put my hand on her again and gave her the dummy and this time it took about 20 mins. But not once was there any crying or screaming. I actually cried cause it was so simple!!
I hope this helps you as well and over time we end up with wonderful sleepers!!
Ahh..to sit down for 45 minutes uninterrupted. laugh

If I learned one thing with DS2 it's to just go with it and not to try and be superwoman. We had days/weeks when it seemed like I was 'chained' to the sofa, but the older they get the harder it is to find 5 minutes to have a cuppa let alone 45 minutes uninterrupted to just 'chill'. I do understand, really I do, but I learned to just let it go and enjoy it. She's not still going to need you to sit on the sofa 3 years from now while she goes 'dead to the world' before you can put her to bed.

To answer your question though we didn't really 'do' anything with DS2. One day, after about a month of not noticing, we realised that every time he came into our bed he just mucked around after previously just falling back to sleep; I found that some days he protested the rocking so I'd just put him to bed and he'd drift off to sleep or that he'd still be awake when on the boob instead of being asleep at the end of a feed. It was sort of a natural progression for him and something he wasn't taught to do. On days where he just couldn't be put down I would carry him in the front pack (and later the ERGO) so at least if there was stuff I needed to do, my hands were free to do stuff while he slept.

They are little for such a short time and they don't yet realise that they are separate from you so it's no surprise really that they are happiest to be with you...even if it can be a frustrating, and sometimes incredibly boring, part of new parenthood.

Sign in to follow this topic