Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

1hour to settle Lock Rss

Hi,

My son (3months old)takes between 30mins (good time) to 1.5hours to get to sleep every time day/night. During the day he will only sleep for one sleep cycle if I'm lucky we will get two (so from 30mins to 1.5hours). He sleeps over night from 8 when he is finally asleep to 4.30 in the morning. Midwives don't seem to be concerned as he is gaining weight steady and seems happy and content (he is always on his best behaviour when out). I've been told by the midwives to get him back up after 20mins and offer a feed. I do that he falls asleep on the breast and then wakes right back up when putting him down.

He is a very twitchy baby and has to be wrapped up. At the same time loves to sleep with his arms up but knocks himself out and wakes up. He loves to suck his hand, tried and still am trying the dummy to help sooth him but won't take most times. Very easy distracted baby (light, movement, hard to sleep when out).

He has become increasingly worse over the past week. I'm starting to go crazy. Need some help looking at enrolling in sleep school soon.
Hi

Sounds like the mix of up time and down time is not right for him, there's guides and then you need to modify them to suit your bub.

Have a look here http://babybliss.com.au/services/babybliss-routines/ for an indication of how much up time at various ages and then you need to find the right balance for your baby, that might be less time than they suggest or a little more. So say 1 1/2 hours up then a 40 min nap (which is totally normal at this stage).

Neither of my kids ever slept much during the day, and never long sleeps - both were 40 minute wonders but slept well over night.

Sometimes things work better when we dont try so hard to enforce them, if its taking longer than 30 mins to settle him I'd give it away and try again in another 30 minutes. What kind of routine are you doing? Does he cry when you put him down (after falling asleep in the breast?) if not I'd leave him and see what happens. They are high maintenance at this age but you shouldnt spend so much time trying to get them to sleep... once you happen upon the right balance for your bub and that might include the right amount of awake time, feeding to sleep, rocking... you can get a pattern going that works for your bub - and then be prepared for them to change it on you smile He might be having a growth spurt at the moment which is why it seems worse this past week.
Yep, mine did something similar at about the same age and it lasted for about a month!

I never wanted to be one of those mums who tip toed around the house, but during that month I wanted to throttle anyone who woke bubs....including the dog walking on wooden floors (we put hall runners down), creaking floors (we tried everything to silence the floors), pulled the batteries out of the door bell...just to name a few....We even took to driving to get a gelati as he would sleep in the car, and we could just transfer him (after dream feed).

Do whatever works for you as this is most likely a phase and it won't last...many people go through this as bubs reaches a developmental stage at this age.

We also removed everything that could stimulate bubs in bed...mobiles, pics on walls etc; invested in a CD player for soft lullaby music (on repeat all night);night light on then night light off (worked some nights but not others);hot water bottle to warm bed (then remove it once bubs is about to go in) as we found bubs woke if bed was cold; blankets on, blankets off depending upon room temp; only dressed bubs in cotton so it could breathe and not overheat bubs; swapped rubber mattress protector to a fabric one as we were told bubs could be sweating and then getting cold....

Mine went back to being easy to put to bed(even awake) after the month....good luck!
I've been trying the 1-1.5hours awake at which time he shows all the tried signs put him down for sleep and he fights it like no end. If I get him back up again he is happy for a while but has red eyes of overtired. He can go most of the day without sleeping only sleeping on the breast or maybe 2 40min naps in the day. Once I take him off the breast and put him down I've got either 6/8mins before he is awake doesn't last.

I've read that babybliss site and had another read and that was what made me worry he isn't getting enough sleep in a day. I must say since I've been enforcing more day sleeps its been harder to get him to sleep of a night. I guess I will continue going with what he wants and forget the the child health nurses who say he should be having more sleep. Thanks for the advice.

Hi

Sounds like the mix of up time and down time is not right for him, there's guides and then you need to modify them to suit your bub.

Have a look here http://babybliss.com.au/services/babybliss-routines/ for an indication of how much up time at various ages and then you need to find the right balance for your baby, that might be less time than they suggest or a little more. So say 1 1/2 hours up then a 40 min nap (which is totally normal at this stage).

Neither of my kids ever slept much during the day, and never long sleeps - both were 40 minute wonders but slept well over night.

Sometimes things work better when we dont try so hard to enforce them, if its taking longer than 30 mins to settle him I'd give it away and try again in another 30 minutes. What kind of routine are you doing? Does he cry when you put him down (after falling asleep in the breast?) if not I'd leave him and see what happens. They are high maintenance at this age but you shouldnt spend so much time trying to get them to sleep... once you happen upon the right balance for your bub and that might include the right amount of awake time, feeding to sleep, rocking... you can get a pattern going that works for your bub - and then be prepared for them to change it on you smile He might be having a growth spurt at the moment which is why it seems worse this past week.
He must be a 40minute wonder when he wants it. He is going to be a driven kid on his own terms by the looks of it. I still might look into sleep school and see if they can help with some settling techniques. Thanks for all your help and to know that he is just normal in his own way. I was getting sick of hearing he should be having at least 3 good sleeps in the day and why don't you have a routine. Have tried and tried on routines with no success, I keep trying every day. Somethings are set in stone eg. bath, bed(try), when he wakes in the morning, wrapping in his snuggle me.

Thanks everybody
Sign in to follow this topic