Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Gina Ford experts - lunch time nap help

Gina Ford experts - lunch time nap help Rss

Hello all,

First up, I am not interested on starting a debate on Gina's routines, just after some advice from people who use them smile

I used her routines with great success with DS1 - 4 years ago! So a bit rusty. With DS2 they have worked a treat to get him sleeping through from 10 weeks and feeding well.

My issue is the lunch time nap. I know this can be hard work to establish but this time I am really struggling with DS2 at 15 weeks and only on about 8 ocasions has he done the nap well. He has about 40-45 min sleep cycles and after the first one, will struggle to get himself back to sleep so I am lucky if he gets 2 x 45 min naps rather than solid 2+ hours. I have tried settling, letting him cry etc. etc. Trouble is, he has done it a few times and is so much happier when he does, so I keep persevering.

He self settles well during his early evening and overnight nap. I often put him down awake at other naps - no issues. I am transitioning him from wrapping to bags but this has made NO difference anyway. I have tried a top up pre the nap in case he is hungry - no difference.

Any advice appreciated smile I am heading back to work in just under 3 weeks and would like to have this sorted before I do (free dreams!)

Hello again,

No, not 'bumping' my original post but even though I had no replies sad I noticed a lot of people looked so thought I would update in case you are interested...

I have persisted and DS2 is doing better. He will usually wake a few times during his lunch time nap but about 80% of the time he will now self settle and gets about 2 hours. If he has a bad one, I just give him a quick nap at 4.15 ish.

This has been coupled with moving to a sleeping bag from a swaddle and pushing his times to get in line with daylight savings ceasing so the little guy is doing alright wink

I suppose this has just served to remind me that establishing the routine can be hard work (vague recollections of this with DS1 but was 4 plus years ago) and you do just need to keep with it and it will usually pay off. I feel much better about going back to work in a week now smile

Hello again,

No, not 'bumping' my original post but even though I had no replies sad I noticed a lot of people looked so thought I would update in case you are interested...

I have persisted and DS2 is doing better. He will usually wake a few times during his lunch time nap but about 80% of the time he will now self settle and gets about 2 hours. If he has a bad one, I just give him a quick nap at 4.15 ish.

This has been coupled with moving to a sleeping bag from a swaddle and pushing his times to get in line with daylight savings ceasing so the little guy is doing alright wink

I suppose this has just served to remind me that establishing the routine can be hard work (vague recollections of this with DS1 but was 4 plus years ago) and you do just need to keep with it and it will usually pay off. I feel much better about going back to work in a week now smile
hello!!!!!

My email address is j_starky@hotmail.com. I am also a Gina Ford lover, my daughter is nearly 11 weeks old and i have encountered the same trouble. she wont settle herself back to sleep and if she does it is about a hour later so she only ends up getting around an hour sleep if that. it is driving me nuts!!!!! Do i just keep her in her cot and not go to her. she sucks on her hands like crazy and cries on and off but does not become hysterical. any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!!!

she is the same, sleeps all the way through from 7pm and has no difficulties settling at other naps, she gets put in the cot mostly awake and puts her self to sleep so i know she can do it, she just wont at lunch time. WHYYYY?????
Hi there, glad to find a fellow GF fan wink

I did go back and re-read for about the millionth time the book and she concedes that the lunch time nap can be the most difficult to establish but you need to persevere. She does advise on making sure they are not hungry/wet etc too, but it is frustrating. I tried a 30-60ml top up at 1150 but DS2 just threw it all up so hunger not the issue.

DS2 is a huge fan of his hands too. I refuse to let him have a dummy for sleeping but do let him have one if cranky between sleeps. He is just a 'sucky' baby and being bottle fed has not helped. He will suck his fingers as I settle him but I never seem him with them in his mouth when asleep?

Are you tucking your DD in super tightly? I have found this helps too - like a straight jacket LOL. Often DS2 wakes up and grumbles , not crying, because he has worked his hands out and does not know what to do with them - I just move him back down under sheet and re-wedge him in using rolled up wraps to keep the sheet firmly tucked in (GF has a picture of this in her book). With going in I try and leave him if just grumbling or just do a quick tuck in (no eye contact or talking) if I can. If he is
escalating or crying I will always go in - first I try the quick tuck in and and walk out, sometimes I need to pop him on his side away from me and do gentle patting until he settles (and sneak out quick!).

FYI, I do not do the blackout blind as think that is mad and just setting your baby up to be unable to sleep outside of that kind of environment. But room is darkened. We have a huge building site across the road which does not help either. My 'theory' is that they normally only have a shorter (30-45 minute) sleep during the day, so us expecting 3 plus sleep cycles at midday is a bit weird for them, until they get the hint wink

As I was saying to a friend with an 8 week old - it does get better, just slowly and sometimes a few step forwards then one or two back but you just have to be committed, it does pay off - my DS1 has always been such a good boy and good sleeper. And DS2 is a superstar baby when he has a good nap, which also helps me to feel like I am doing the right thing smile

PS Make sure you get her book of weaning - a lifesaver!

i guess i will just continue doing the same thing. She doesn't cry though when she wakes from her first sleep cycle, she just lies in there and looks around. if i wasn't checking on her i would think she was asleep. thats what is so frustrating. today was a right off, she flatly refused to go back to sleep, was cosing her eyes and falling asleep and then would throw her legs up and wake herself up. I don't tuck her in because she absolutely cracks it if she can't move around. She has been in a grow bag since 6 weeks so is well and truly used to not being tucked in. I am thinking of just letter her pick when she sleeps because i have been doing this for 4 weeks now and there has only been 1 successful nap.
i guess i will just continue doing the same thing. She doesn't cry though when she wakes from her first sleep cycle, she just lies in there and looks around. if i wasn't checking on her i would think she was asleep. thats what is so frustrating. today was a right off, she flatly refused to go back to sleep, was cosing her eyes and falling asleep and then would throw her legs up and wake herself up. I don't tuck her in because she absolutely cracks it if she can't move around. She has been in a grow bag since 6 weeks so is well and truly used to not being tucked in. I am thinking of just letter her pick when she sleeps because i have been doing this for 4 weeks now and there has only been 1 successful nap.
HI
I have found the Save my sleep routines (Tizzie Hall) very very helpful..my munchkin got into very bad habits (after qld floods, and international travel where we had 10 wks away from home.)and was napping not sleeping during day and it was getting worse not better.
They are quite regimented in time she is a little older so we used the lay me down approach and 2 days later life is a dream. I have been following the timetable down the line and it works..
hope you have sucess with what ever you chose to do.shel

Hello again,

Hi Everyone

I am having trouble getting my 4 week old lad to settle. It seems he powernaps when he is on me and I am starting to find it quite wearing! I have not heard of Gina Ford but will now google and it seems she must have some great tips.

Thanks ladies

Sharlene
Was glad to finally get some replies...wink

Tizzie Hall is very like GF, just the Aussie version, my SIL used her book with great success.

J-Starky, DS2 is not a fan of been locked in with the sheet, but cannot settle without it either LOL. I just lock him in and he might grunt and grumble a bit but usually, this does not last for long. GF suggests that although it is good to have them in a sleeping bag early (impressed with the 6 weeks!) they still have such a strong Moro reflex until 6 months that unless they are moving around the cot, they still need a sheet tucked in firmly. I would encourage you to keep going, DS2 really only improved at about 14 weeks onwards, but can understand giving up too! Just think of the long game.....

Routines are not for everyone Sharsb2011, some of my best friends just go with the flow and this works for them smile But have a read (and for GF you need to read it, not just flick through) and see if you think it will work for you and your baby - and it is about both of you. A lot of Gina's critics say it is not about the baby - I disagree as a happy parent = happy baby, and I think sleeping well is one of the many things we need to teach our kids.

But clearly, I am a convert smile Good luck.

Sharsb2011 - i agree that a routine is not for everyone and if you do choose to follow GF i also encourage to read the book thoroughly!!! I continually go back to it to look things up. While i do follow the routines in the book, i do not do it "to the book" as such. I also don't blacken out the babies room as i feel this is setting up for unsuccessful naps outside of the bedroom which isn't fabulous if you are at someones house. I basically just use the feeding times and sleeping times and do whatever in between - whatever works for Jorjia really.

I have started to have a little more success in the last few days and while she is still waking after her first sleep cycle she now gets her self back to sleep within 20 mins or less and sleeps until the 2:15pm mark which is great.
Gina Ford... I am so happy to find other fans out there - I LOVE her.
I have used her routines and tips with all of my 4 children and as a result i have had the best 4 sleepers ever. My 4th baby is now 8 months old and starting sleeping from 10pm-7am at 1 month old! Now if that's not a happy baby I don't know what is.
I must admit though that I did 'tweak' Gina's routines a little bit... and didn't do the short morning nap. Do you do the short morning nap? I didn't see the point in this as I always worked towards eventually having a morning and afternoon nap instead of the 3 naps, so I always gave my kids a 2 hour morning nap (they always loved this first nap) which worked well. I did blacken out their rooms and firmly believe this helped too although it was annoying when sleeping elsewhere (we used to take our own black garbage bags to stick on windows!).
Sign in to follow this topic