Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. 2 Year olds odd waking times

2 Year olds odd waking times Lock Rss

Hiya, i have a 2 and a half year old, who is driving my partner and i up the wall! he has decided, (before daylight savings) that 4:30am is a good waking time. he goes to bed between 7 and 8pm, but never settles right away, we normally have to put him back to bed about 3-4 times before he stays in bed. Hes grumpy during the day, obviously from lack of sleep, and wev tried everything we have been told, and nothing is working. with us expecting number two, and both having a very stressful time we need our sleep. Any advice? please!
Hey, I have had lots of trouble with my little 3 year old since he has been in a toddler bed for a year now. I have found that a good routine works. What we do is not have any telly on for at least an hour before bed, dinner, bath, pj's, and then read a couple of books in bed. If you want to get into a new routine I have found that Brouer Sleep Relief from the chemist helps - it's naturopathic drops that you give from two hours before bed. i have found that that really helps...

hope something out of this helps out... not sleeping at night is terrible! No space whatsoever!

Hiya, i have a 2 and a half year old, who is driving my partner and i up the wall! he has decided, (before daylight savings) that 4:30am is a good waking time. he goes to bed between 7 and 8pm, but never settles right away, we normally have to put him back to bed about 3-4 times before he stays in bed. Hes grumpy during the day, obviously from lack of sleep, and wev tried everything we have been told, and nothing is working. with us expecting number two, and both having a very stressful time we need our sleep. Any advice? please!

I would try bringing his bed time back to 6.30 or so. My DD2 is 2 years and 3 months and goes to bed at 6.30 everynight. It sounds like he might be over tired and that is why it is such a battle to get him into bed. My almot 4 year old still goes to bed at 6.30 too and our 5 year old is in bed by 8 most nights. We follow the same routine here everday dinner, bath, quiet time then bed so everyone knows what is coming next. I feed the kids dinner at 5pm.

Hi

My 2 year old (26 months) goes to bed at 7pm (no later) and wakes around 7.30am and also has a day sleep from 12.30 to 2 - 2.30pm. Not sure from your post if your little one is still having a day sleep but does seem he's over tired so I'd get him into bed earlier - try for 6.30pm if he's going to muck around initially so that he is hopefully asleep by 7pm. I've always found with both my kids the earlier they go to bed the better they sleep. My 5 year old also is in bed by 7pm and sleeps till around 7.30am too.

On the odd occasion my 2 year old does wake in the wee hours I tell her its still night time, go back to sleep. She generally wakes for a reason though - cold, teeth bothering her...so I sort that out and tell her its still sleep time. She doesnt wake that early cause she's ready to start the day.

They eat dinner at 5.30pm.
How much sleep does he have during the day? I agree that if he is overtired then the type of problems you are having can happen. Either an earlier bed time or a daytime sleep can help, he should be having 12 hrs sleep every 24hrs at this stage.

I have dealt with my children wanting to wake for the day before dawn a few times and they get blonked between my DH and I in bed in the dark and made to be still and silent. If they try to move one of us will put them back in the desired position and if they try to talk or make noises we say its sleep time be quiet. My kids soon get bored and get the message, they go back to sleep and after a couple of days stop altogether.

hope this helps good luck

http://decadent-delights1.webnode.com/blog/
My blog, take a peek into my world

haha my four year old is still keeping us up every night... And there is nothing wrong with her.. I didnt leave my parents to a full nights sleep til I was 9 years old so my parents tell me... Every child s different.. If you get a sleeper your lucky... smile I have four and 3 out of four sleep well... My 11 month sleeps better then my 4 year old...
Thanks so much, tonight we will try the 630 bedtime and see how that goes down. he does nap, except it is getting difficult to get him down for a day nap, if he doesnt have his day nap then he is up at least every couple of hours at night. the other problem is my partner finishes work at 5, and gets home around 530, 6pm so he doesnt get much time to play and ends up getting him all excited right before bed. i will definatley be trying him for a 630 bedtime tonight. Thanks so much, ill let you know how it goes tomorrow!

I would try bringing his bed time back to 6.30 or so. My DD2 is 2 years and 3 months and goes to bed at 6.30 everynight. It sounds like he might be over tired and that is why it is such a battle to get him into bed. My almot 4 year old still goes to bed at 6.30 too and our 5 year old is in bed by 8 most nights. We follow the same routine here everday dinner, bath, quiet time then bed so everyone knows what is coming next. I feed the kids dinner at 5pm.

ditto.

DD in bed by 6pm most nights, otherwise she is overtired and grumpy during the day.

well things wont be getting better straight away. as we have finally found a house and will be moving in two weeks! oh the joy. then will be time to settle into another routine. tried to put him down at 630 the other night, and he was screaming till 8 when he finally fell asleep. hes waking up later though, yesterday and this morning he woke up around 530am so that not as bad as it was, were getting there.
Sign in to follow this topic