Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Teaching self-settling

Teaching self-settling Rss

DS is seven months old and I cannot get him to sleep during the day.
If I put him in his cot when he is awake all he does is play around. No matter how tired he is. He likes to roll around in there and ends up crying because his legs are hanging out of the cot.

Tips on self-settling etc. please!

"Parenting is the easiest thing in the world to have an opinion about, but the hardest thing in the world to do."

Blake went through a phase of this, i put him in a sleeping bag and it stopped him being able to roll over. otherwise you could try a safe-t-sleep....like a velcro strip to hold him in the middle.

DS is seven months old and I cannot get him to sleep during the day.
If I put him in his cot when he is awake all he does is play around. No matter how tired he is. He likes to roll around in there and ends up crying because his legs are hanging out of the cot.

Tips on self-settling etc. please!

Perhaps you need to sit with him and pat him bottom/tummy until he falls alseep so he falls asleep in the cot, then progress to sitting him on your lap in the lounge and rubbing his tummy until he looks sleepy, eyes dropping etc, then put him in the cot and touch him till he is asleep, then do the same thing but you just put them in the cot and walk away and well, thats where im up too at the moment smile
we just got a grow bag it worked a treat
Happy to offer my experiences BUT I started day one with DS2, after only working it out at about 7 weeks with DS! :S

I always:
- make sure we have quieter time pre bed - dancing to music while cuddling, a story (before lunch nap) and minimal eye contact or direct talking i.e. nothing stimulating
- Making sure room and cot ready to go when I take DS2 in there
- Same routine of gentle patting on back to get last of wind up, then jiggling/rocking horizontally
- As he drifts, not alseep, pop him into cot (already in bag) and tuck him in firmly
- If grizzly, just a few gentle pats on tummy then I walk out

If starting this, you might have to do the routine a few times.

Try not to pick them up though, better to get them used to the idea of settling in the cot. I put DS2 on his side, facing away from me and gently pat his side in even decreasing firmness and frequency. It can seem insane when you start as you do have to do it many times but they gradually get the hint smile

Sign in to follow this topic