Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. "Save Our Sleep" - anyone try it?

"Save Our Sleep" - anyone try it? Lock Rss

I am thinking about trying it but can someone please tell me if it involves controlled crying/comforting? I don't really know exactly what the routines are and thought I'd ask to get a bit of an idea before buying the book. I'm trying to get it from the library but there's a fairly long waiting list for it!! TIA.

The author of SOS does NOT support control crying. Instead she suggests either sitting with the child while they protest cry (which is like yell saying 'I don't want to go too sleep) and then as the times they protest for get shorter you move further towards the door until you aren't in the room anymore. OR using times out of the room while your child protests.

You really have to read the book to fully understand it. Most community health clinics will lend you the book for free if the library can't.

There are different routines for different aged children at different stages. For example there is a different routine for a child starting solids to one that hasn't or is over 9mths. She also includes routines for parents with one or more other children, or even twins.

SOS really does try it's hardest to cater too most people individual circumstance, but she does include real life situations she has witnessed to gelp you through any hard times or to work out your own routine.

hope I've helped both you and the OP.

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

Brilliant. I am a convert. We had a good sleeper for our first and though she was easy but for our second daughter she slept great at nigth but wanted to feed 2 hourly and cat nap through the day. At 3 months I got sick of this and bought the book. I have learnt so much through this book and wish I had of used it the frst time. It has even helped with our 2 and a half year old who stopped sleeping well.

I now have two children 4months and almost three who sleep from 7 to 7. We have a routine that can be flexible but I stick to it as much as I can. It is great for my first daughter because I know when we can structure sme one on one time together.

I also had an emergency trip to the hospital at one in the morning. Had Our second daughter, fully breast fed, not been on the schedualed I am not sure if we would have managed. We knew exactly when she needed to feed and sleep. My husband was able to bring her in at 7 in the morning to feed and we both knew that she would be ok until then. He then was able to take her home for a bit and bring her back at the appropriate time.

I think this will be my new favourite gift for new mothers.
I don't doubt that it works, but personally I don't agree with it. I could never ever let my son cry - even as a protest...but that's me. My baby feeds and sleeps on demand; whenever and wherever he needs to. I could count on one hand the times he has cried since birth. We don't need him in a routine and I won't force one on him. We are happy and in my opinion raising our son to trust us. I am not saying this as a 'holier than thou' thing, I get that people do what they need to do and what works for them...we are doing what works for us smile If you are looking for help with getting your baby to sleep I recommend looking at "The no cry sleep solution" by Elizabeth Pantley. Best wishes

I don't doubt that it works, but personally I don't agree with it. I could never ever let my son cry - even as a protest...but that's me. My baby feeds and sleeps on demand; whenever and wherever he needs to. I could count on one hand the times he has cried since birth. We don't need him in a routine and I won't force one on him. We are happy and in my opinion raising our son to trust us. I am not saying this as a 'holier than thou' thing, I get that people do what they need to do and what works for them...we are doing what works for us smile If you are looking for help with getting your baby to sleep I recommend looking at "The no cry sleep solution" by Elizabeth Pantley. Best wishes

But the Save our Sleep DOESNT endorse controlled crying. She mentions in the book that she doesnt and her reasons why.

Ive got the book and have been trying a few bits and pieces but what ide like to know is if bub doesnt follow the routine (eg wakes during the night still and doesnt sleep the same amount of time it states in the routines) then how are you ment to stick with it? Once they deviate off the routine it stuffs up the rest of the day.

Help?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

But the Save our Sleep DOESNT endorse controlled crying. She mentions in the book that she doesnt and her reasons why.

Ive got the book and have been trying a few bits and pieces but what ide like to know is if bub doesnt follow the routine (eg wakes during the night still and doesnt sleep the same amount of time it states in the routines) then how are you ment to stick with it? Once they deviate off the routine it stuffs up the rest of the day.

Help?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I've been using it for a while and if you have a look through the book the author suggests that if bub wakes up too soon to try and put them back too sleep. She says to put bub in the pram and go for a walk, or in the car. When DD wakes up early from her afternoon nap I know if she hasn't had enough sleep because she wakes up and crys loudly when she normally wakes up very happy. most of the time when she does this I can just pick her up and gently cuddle and rock her too calm her then put her back down with her teddy and she goes back too sleep.

Also, your bub might have reached a stage where they don't really need as much sleep anymore OR needs to start solids. DD slowly started to sleep for shorter periods so I checked in the book and sure enough she had all the signs Tizzie mentions for starting solids. DD has also cut out her afternoon 'Nap' at 4pm and just stays awake until bed time.

Hope I've helped.

(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

I understand your point of view and respect it but I'd like to share my experience. I've used save our sleep for a while now and DD very rarely cries and NEVER cries herself to sleep. I went through a period of around 2-3 days where she protested which is more of a yell than a cry for 5 mins the first sleep and progressively less. Now I put her down and walk away and don't hear a peep out of her. She always wakes up happy and smiling. Every now and then when she isn't really tired she lays there and talks to her teddy for a max of about 5mins then nods off. I'd be interested in reading the book you mentioned and am going to look for it in my local library. But as I said DD rarely cries and when she does I only have to pick her up and she stops so from my experience with SOS I find it a very positive method.

(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

Help?

Mine rarely slept for the duration of daytime sleeps!

There are examples throughout the book for 'what ifs'.

For night waking, I would start a diary to get a picture of what is happening...bubs wake at the same time? does the temperature drop in the room at night? Move around the cot a lot? and the usual hungry or wet etc? I ended up putting on more blankets and bub went back to sleeping around 12 hours.

I did not follow the routine to a 'T' because bubs had not read the book!

I was usually half an hour or so out and he never had more than 1-2 sleeps a day, very rarely for the duration she has documented. If he did not sleep very well in the morning, I would try to put him down a little earlier in the arvo... and vice versa if he woke early and refused to re-settle.

I looked at the bigger picture, was bubs getting enough sleep for HIM? Was I picking up on tired signs soon enough? I just accepted that bubs was an individual and as long as he was coping (not cranky etc, was growing/feeding and generally happy) then all was good!!! So I used it as a guide not a timetable. I still find that bubs sleeps better if he goes to bed at 630 rather than 7....but there are occasions where he does to bed later and sleeps through. I still do not find he sleeps in the pram for more than 45 minutes...if I can get him to sleep there in the first place!!

I tried to do her settling techniques but bubs did not cope (nor did I) as it made him too overtired and extremely upset...and it got to the point that he was sleeping less and less, so I opted for professional in-home assistance....this I would recommend!!!!

Even now as a toddler, he will NOT sleep in the afternoon!! as the book suggests. If he does not get his morning sleep, he will NOT sleep in the arvo.

The one good thing is that it is a great reference and a place to go for problem solving...remember no one knows your baby like you do!!

Sorry for the novel....
Noddy.. may how did u do it...
Sign in to follow this topic