Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Help me? Rss

Hi

So I'm having trouble with DD (10mths) sleeping at night. Normally she is great, I have a routine and she puts herself to sleep, I only get up to her once or twice a night if at all and she sleeps in her cot. Lately she has been going to be at the usual time of 6:45pm but waking up and yelling at 8:30pm. I go in lay her back down (she stands up in the cot and yells) tuck her back in and she goes back to sleep. BUT then she will wake again at about 10ish and wont want to go back to sleep. In the past when she has gone through periods of not sleeping well I've brought her in with us and that has only lasted one or two nights. But now if I bring her in with us she either lays there kicking and scratching me, or trying to stand up on the head board.

She has been sleeping fine during the day, nothing changed in her eating/drinking/nappies, she has cut two teeth recently but I can't see any signs of more teething. She has been cranky which I put down to not sleeping.

I've tried giving her a bottle which doesn't work or will get her to sleep for 4hrs, I've given her panadol and bonjella which did nothing, I've put less or more rugs on and I've taken her temp.

So what the heck is her problem???????

I don't like co-sleeping, it isn't for me, I like my space and with DD and DH in the bed I end up twisted like a pretzel. The only reason I've done it in the past is that DH can't stand to listen to her yell/cry, and I've needed sleep.

Can anyone suggest something that might help?

Sorry it's so long.

thanks guys.

OOOHHH... INTERNET FIGHT. WHAT ARE YOU GONNA DO? CAPS LOCK ME TOO DEATH?
(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

maybe push back her bedtime to 7.15 or 7.30 and see how that goes

mum of 3 boys aged 11, 13 and 14

Hi

So I'm having trouble with DD (10mths) sleeping at night. Normally she is great, I have a routine and she puts herself to sleep, I only get up to her once or twice a night if at all and she sleeps in her cot. Lately she has been going to be at the usual time of 6:45pm but waking up and yelling at 8:30pm. I go in lay her back down (she stands up in the cot and yells) tuck her back in and she goes back to sleep. BUT then she will wake again at about 10ish and wont want to go back to sleep. In the past when she has gone through periods of not sleeping well I've brought her in with us and that has only lasted one or two nights. But now if I bring her in with us she either lays there kicking and scratching me, or trying to stand up on the head board.

She has been sleeping fine during the day, nothing changed in her eating/drinking/nappies, she has cut two teeth recently but I can't see any signs of more teething. She has been cranky which I put down to not sleeping.

I've tried giving her a bottle which doesn't work or will get her to sleep for 4hrs, I've given her panadol and bonjella which did nothing, I've put less or more rugs on and I've taken her temp.

So what the heck is her problem???????

I don't like co-sleeping, it isn't for me, I like my space and with DD and DH in the bed I end up twisted like a pretzel. The only reason I've done it in the past is that DH can't stand to listen to her yell/cry, and I've needed sleep.

Can anyone suggest something that might help?

Sorry it's so long.

thanks guys.

Maybe she's going through a developmental leap or its separation anxiety, look up 10 month old development - here's one site

http://www.babycenter.com/302_10-months-old_3658826.bc

Probably just something you need to ride out and when she wakes at 10pm, (provided nothing else is wrong like hunger, wet nappy or sick) I'd be saying its sleep time, tuck her in and leave the room shutting the door behind you. She might have a little cry but after 2 nights or so hopefully when she does wake and you tell her its sleep time she'll be less likely to put up a fight.

I wouldnt make bed time later, am a big believer in that "7pm bus" and still have that bedtime for my 5 year old too.
Ive put my daughter to bed early once..... Never again. Now she goes to bed around 8pm. 7:30 bath, bottle then bed.

I tried her going to bed about 7 - 7:30 once and she was still awake an hour and a half later.

Like the other post has said, try a later bed time?

Good luck
How many sleeps does she have during the day?

IMO 6:45 is a bit late for a 10 month old to go to bed, at that age my kids were in bed at 6 and even now they are 2 and 4 they are still in bed at 6:30.

Instead of pushing out her sleep I would try put her down a little bit earlier and see if that helps.

Is she warm enough at night?

Otherwise perhaps sleep or settling school may help? I'm going with my 4.5mth old shortly to see if it helps.
Thanks for all the replies.

DD has 2 sleeps in the day at 9:30am and 1:30pm and usually sleeps for between 1-2 hrs. She needs the morning sleep or she gets very crabby.

I put her down at 6:45pm each night because it allows her time to settle herself and be asleep by 7pm. As someone else mentioned 'the 7o'clock bus'.

I find that by 6:30pm she is starting to get tired; she starts to get clumzy (with her standing and crawling) and she rubs her eyes. so I'm not sure about making her bed time later.

I have a thermometer in her room and make sure it's always between 19-21 degrees and has the exact same rugs everytime. So I'm not sure how she could be cold either.

I'm stumped sad

I thought about her maybe not wanting to be separated from us, and she has always been quite clingy to me, but then why wouldn't she sleep when she is in with us?

I would liketo let her yell/cry a bit but DH can't handel it, even for one minute. sigh. We don't have a sleep school here, we're 8hrs from the nearest one.

(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

hi - when you mentioned standing up in her cot and yelling out to you, is standing up and pulling herself up something new she has just learnt to do during the day? I only ask as when my DD2 learnt to get up on all 4's (eg just before crawling) every time I put her to bed she would get up on all 4's and not be able to get back down for sleep. Fortunately that only lasted a week or so! Now she is 9 mths and figured out how to pull herself up she does that every time I put her in bed. GRRRR frustrating ...
So I just thought maybe your DD was the same?
I have decided just to ride it out, hoping it's only a phase.
Also as someone else suggested, have you tried earlier to bed. I do this sometimes as I figure at least if there is a lot of mucking around before she falls asleep, she is not getting overtired.

Mr J (April 2005) Miss Z (Feb 2007) and Miss O (Oct 2010)

Hi Noddy! I agree with Boo Bear on this one! My dd is an excellent asleep and is always in bed by 6:30 unless on the odd ocassion we go out somewhere. DH was getting home from work late and dd would already be asleep. SO we started putting her to bed later. SHe was fine for the first two nights then after that she would scream everynight we put her in bed and would wake up to 3 times a night. This went on for a week then I decided enough was enough. I was ready to be tough!! I said to Dh that I was putting her to bed early again and if she woke up before 4:00am I would NOT be feeding her. Anyway that night I put her to bed at 6:30 she didn't cry and went straight to sleep by herself. She didn't wake again until 7;00 the next morning. I didn't have to be tough at all, she sorted herself out. SHe must have been to overtired to sleep. Maybe your dd needs to go to bed earlier. DD is back to sleeping 12hrs straight again most nights. I also don't let dd sleep past 4:15 in the afternoon no matter what has happened that day!! Maybe you could try changing her routine a bit. maybe have the morning sleep at nine and the afternoon one at 2:00pm. But don't let her sleep past 4;00pm. I hope this helps and she goes back to sleeping agin for you!

I'm not sure if this is helpful or not, but around that age my DD decided to drop a day sleep and only had one sleep around 10am for 1-2 hours. We then started putting her to bed early around 6pm. She has pretty much slept 12 hours a night since then. She has since dropped all her day sleeps when DS came along 8 weeks ago (unless she falls asleep in the car), She now sleeps 7pm-7am and is great at telling us when she is ready for bed. This seems to be DD's way of showing us her independance LOL!

Not sure if maybe your DD is oversleeping during the day??? (If that is even possible?) Then is not as tired at night??? As this seemed to be what happened with my DD.

Good luck!!

hi - when you mentioned standing up in her cot and yelling out to you, is standing up and pulling herself up something new she has just learnt to do during the day? I only ask as when my DD2 learnt to get up on all 4's (eg just before crawling) every time I put her to bed she would get up on all 4's and not be able to get back down for sleep. Fortunately that only lasted a week or so! Now she is 9 mths and figured out how to pull herself up she does that every time I put her in bed. GRRRR frustrating ...
So I just thought maybe your DD was the same?
I have decided just to ride it out, hoping it's only a phase.
Also as someone else suggested, have you tried earlier to bed. I do this sometimes as I figure at least if there is a lot of mucking around before she falls asleep, she is not getting overtired.

When I go in to her yelling I lay her back down and tuck her back in and walk out, she normally stays down and is quiet for between 15-30mins before waking again. Does this sound the same to you?

(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

Hi Noddy! I agree with Boo Bear on this one! My dd is an excellent asleep and is always in bed by 6:30 unless on the odd ocassion we go out somewhere. DH was getting home from work late and dd would already be asleep. SO we started putting her to bed later. SHe was fine for the first two nights then after that she would scream everynight we put her in bed and would wake up to 3 times a night. This went on for a week then I decided enough was enough. I was ready to be tough!! I said to Dh that I was putting her to bed early again and if she woke up before 4:00am I would NOT be feeding her. Anyway that night I put her to bed at 6:30 she didn't cry and went straight to sleep by herself. She didn't wake again until 7;00 the next morning. I didn't have to be tough at all, she sorted herself out. SHe must have been to overtired to sleep. Maybe your dd needs to go to bed earlier. DD is back to sleeping 12hrs straight again most nights. I also don't let dd sleep past 4:15 in the afternoon no matter what has happened that day!! Maybe you could try changing her routine a bit. maybe have the morning sleep at nine and the afternoon one at 2:00pm. But don't let her sleep past 4;00pm. I hope this helps and she goes back to sleeping agin for you!

Hey laugh

She normally sleeps 7-7 at night. Tonight I've tried later 6:55pm, if that doesn't help I'll try 6:30pm.

I already don't let her sleep past 4:15pm. She normally sleeps 9:30-10:30am or 11am and 1:30pm-3pm. In the past this has been fine, do you think she has grown out of it?

Thanks.

(Noddy's not fat ffs!)

Sign in to follow this topic