Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Transitioning my 4month old from bassinet to cot

Transitioning my 4month old from bassinet to cot Lock Rss

Hi Guys, just wanting some advice on transitioning to cot and whether there is anything we can do to make it less stressful and easier on our bub, she is now 16 weeks old....
We did it really slowely so started by putting the bassinet into her room for the day sleeps, then a couple of days later for the night and another couple of days we moved her into the cot full time. She was a little older though as she has always had lots of trouble sleeping and it was easier to keep her with us until she grew out of the bassinet around 6 months.

Good luck and i hope you have a smooth transition grin

Hi Guys, just wanting some advice on transitioning to cot and whether there is anything we can do to make it less stressful and easier on our bub, she is now 16 weeks old....

hi, we had our girl in our room until she was about 4 and a half months old. we first put her bassinet into her room and she had her day sleeps in their for 2 days, then we had a really bad night, not alot of sleep, so that was the last straw for me, into her own room she went. first night in there she slept 11 hours. she was in her bassinet for about a week then i put her into her cot during day sleeps then after about 3 days i did it for the night sleep and we got 12 hours.

to make it easier have something she had in her bassinet, like the same blanket or something, also for her day sleeps i stayed in her room until she was asleep, just so she felt safe. at the same time we were getting her to go to sleep on her own rather than being rocked to sleep.
its was way easier than i thought it would be, just keep at it, make sure she feels safe, if she cries she is probably telling you 'mum this is new, im not so sure about this' just give her cuddles until she stops crying and pop her back into her bed. it worked very well for me smile
Putting Baby in the cott for the day sleeps is a really good idea, just to get them used to the space,

When i moved my baby girl she was three months old, and it was me that felt the anxiety more than her. I ended up sleeping on a blow up bed on the floor in her room by the cott for a month. She knew i was close and got to know that as her new sleeping space.

By the time i moved back into my own room she didnt even notice at all.
Hi there,

You could always just try bub in the cot and see how she goes. Our girl was in a bassinet till 3.5 months, than we moved overseas and she went straight into a cot. She was fine (don't know what we would have done if she wasn't, lol) but give it a try. smile

Good luck smile

Putting Baby in the cott for the day sleeps is a really good idea, just to get them used to the space,

When i moved my baby girl she was three months old, and it was me that felt the anxiety more than her. I ended up sleeping on a blow up bed on the floor in her room by the cott for a month. She knew i was close and got to know that as her new sleeping space.

By the time i moved back into my own room she didnt even notice at all.

Hehe I'm so pleased I'm not the only one who did this!! I let my dd have a couple of day sleeps in her Cot but no major transitioning. I had to give my borrowed bassinet back so I moved her into the Cot one night and put a mattress on the floor in her room incase she got scared...turned out it was more for my benefit! Dh came home from work about a week later and packed up my mattress! Dd was fine, didn't even notice I was missing!!

Definitely worth just giving it a go I think. I think the more of an issue you make it, the more it will be to your bub.
From the moment we came home from hospital, our now 4 1/2 month old boy has slept in his cot for the night time sleep, we have "Cot Rockers" on the cot so it slowly (or fast if required) rocks him to sleep if he is restless or wakes during the night. We had the cot rocker for our first baby who had very bad colic and didn't sleep much, the cot rocker was fantastic for him also on a faster speed was very comforting. So nighttime is great once he's in his cot, however during the day he has been in a bouncer and wants to be bounced to sleep. Have tried the cot during the day, but likes a more upright position. Almost outgrown the bouncer though so this is my next challenge. smile
In all honesty when we had our twin boys we had them in our room for the first 12 months. In their little porta joeys inside the cot. We found that once we transitioned them to a cot and in their own room they were fine. had no problems whatsoever and with minimal transitional fuss. i found that it was just piece of mind having them near us for that longer a period of time. Every one is different. You as a mother will know when the timing is right to do so. There is no wrong or right time to do this.
with DD she was about 4months and we actually put her bassinette IN the cot for a few days (in our room at night) then put her in the cot for day sleeps and then transitioned to night..all up it took up about 2weeks and she was fine.. but with DS we thought what the hell and just plonked him in the cot at 3.5months one day..he was fine, actually i think he slept better because the matress was firmer lol. so id say just give her a go in it and see what happens she may suprise you wink
as others have said- we just put DD in her cot in DS's room (she had been in a bassinet in our room) worked fine! she was 3mths.

We moved her cos she was starting to stay awake at night and want our attention. We were heaps tired and the thing that settled her the best was DS (almost 2 at the time) calling out to her from his room - so we figured they would both be happier together - we were right- they both settled great in the same room smile
thanks so very much for the tips you have all been so very helpful, we have started on the day sleeps in her cot and are on day 3 which is good, but have not done the big move from our room to her room at night will hopefully by the end of the week, scary though moreso for me than her i feel..... Now all i need is for her to work out she is better off if she has more than 45min nap at a time GRRRRRRR unsure
My DD is nearly 6 months and slowly growing out of her bassinet. Hubby is telling me that soon she will be to cramped and have to go into her cot.
I just feel so anxious being away from her as her room is on the other side of the house. Any tips on how to become more comfortable with the transition for mum?
She sleeps so well at night, hoping once she does go into her room she remains a great sleeper
Sign in to follow this topic