Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Cry-it-out... Lock Rss

Am trying to get bubs to sleep on her own... she has been crying in her cot for 45mins now.... I go in every 5 or so and rub her tummy and whisper it;s ok... but it's breaking my heart! Is it really worth it? And husband is away so it's even harder... how many nights will this go on for? it's night two right now...
how old is bub?

how old is bub?

She is 6 and a half months. Is it too young?
I think they say you can start trying that method at 6 months ..but I have used the tresillian web site as a referance for sleeping with my daugther - www.tresillian.net (my bub's old enough to 'self settle')
good luck...
Hope your bub got to sleep eventually? and that someone with experience with 'self settling' responds to your post smile
Hi I would never have survived if i hadnt taught my daughter to self sooth. I started very early about 5 wks old. I never read any of the books about it it just seemed to work. I would leave her cry for maybe 10 mins then check on her but i also played classisal music and she got into the retuine that once that was on and she was all tucked away it was time to sleep. It didnt take to long before she was sleeping through the night 9 to 12 hrs and 2 sleeps during the day. Good luck to you I hope it works out for you.
Thanks for both the above websites.... she did fall asleep the other night, after an hour... but I think it was from pure exhaustion not self settling. I couldn't bring myself to do it last night, but husband is home again so we are trying together now. It's killing both of us... the CC techniques say to calm them before leaving the room but she is just so hysterical... is this right? And tonight she started going crazy during the wind down routine, think she knew what what coming. Oh poor poor baby.

Thanks for both the above websites.... she did fall asleep the other night, after an hour... but I think it was from pure exhaustion not self settling. I couldn't bring myself to do it last night, but husband is home again so we are trying together now. It's killing both of us... the CC techniques say to calm them before leaving the room but she is just so hysterical... is this right? And tonight she started going crazy during the wind down routine, think she knew what what coming. Oh poor poor baby.

hi, i dont think it is right if bubs is getting hysterical. what we did was we went for 6 minute intervals. we put bubs in bed left the room and started the clock. during that time if bubs stops crying for a full count of 3 seconds, then the 6 minutes starts again. if bubs is crying full pelt for the full 6 minutes then we would go back in and pick him up and have a 10 minute break.

i found this method worked really well for us for day times sleeps and after day 2, our son was going to sleep by himself. we had also put him onto a strict routine too so that assisted his sleeping too.

we still had troubles at night time when he would just be hysterical so at those times, we just kept him up with us until his dreamfeed at 10.30 at which time he went to bed no hassles.

good luck. and if you hate it and dont really want to do it or you feel bubs doesnt need it, dont do it.
What has been happening up until now in terms of getting her to sleep?

Personally I found CC to NOT be worth it with DS1, and it didn't work, plus there are other ways to get baby to settle to sleep on their own that doesn't involve lots of crying/screaming. With DS2 we refused to do it, even when no one was sleeping. Our motto was that we'd do whatever was necessary to make sure everyone got the sleep they needed and we were comfortable doing.

Have you had a look at either Elizabeth Pantley or Pinky McKay? They are both on FB too so you could try asking them questions on their FB pages. Elizabeth Pantley's No Cry Sleep Solution is what got DS2 sleeping after 2 months of us only sleeping 5 very broken hours out of every 24.

Personally I wouldn't persist with the CC at the moment if she is that distressed and I'd either look at alternate methods or go back to the CC later if that's what you decide you want to do. I hated that we did CC with DS1, especially when we were doing it...it went against every instinct I had as a mother to comfort my crying baby and his sleep, by his brother's standards at the same age, was a dream in comparison. I agree with Mumto2Ts...if you don't want to and don't feel that she 'needs' it then don't do it.

Personally I wouldn't persist with the CC at the moment if she is that distressed and I'd either look at alternate methods or go back to the CC later if that's what you decide you want to do. I hated that we did CC with DS1, especially when we were doing it...it went against every instinct I had as a mother to comfort my crying baby and his sleep, by his brother's standards at the same age, was a dream in comparison. I agree with Mumto2Ts...if you don't want to and don't feel that she 'needs' it then don't do it.

This is just how I feel too... up until now I have had the firm belief to never leave baby to cry. I think this is why she is the happiest baby in the world. She laughs all day!
But she does need to sleep on her own... for our comfort and sanity too. (A double bed is too small, I can't believe how much room a baby takes up in bed! Don't know how co-sleepers do it every night!) She used to self settle, but we went to visit the grandparents in Tasmania for a month over winter and it was just so cold I put her in bed with me. So I probably dug myself into a hole...
The above points are very helpful thanks, think we'll do it as a slow process and just try and remind her that her cot is a lovely cosy place to be. CC is too distressing for me and my husband.
Sign in to follow this topic