Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Ellen Barron sleep school

Ellen Barron sleep school Lock Rss

I am in the process of been referred to the Ellen Barron sleep school because ds's sleep is up the sh!t.

Any one been? What are they like? What is the technique they use? I read today on google that they use the 'controlled crying' method but don't actually call it that, and they just go cold turkey with taking all comforters off bub ie dummies etc.

If that's the case, I don't really know how I feel about that! I don't really like the idea of controlled crying. Although I would LOVE to get rid of the dummy! grin
I have been there with my first born when he was five months old. I was at my wits end and the centre was my saviour! I loved the place! It was like a home away from home. You get your own room and bathroom and babys room with cot. They provide all your meals and help and support 24hrs a day so all you have to do is concentrate on solving the problem. They cater to all sorts of problems so its not really a sleep school. Anyway its wonderful, the staff were fantastic. They run workshops throughout the day to educate us on everything from seetling, routines, feeding, massage, you name it. I came home loaded up with information. They dont use 'controlled crying' as such, its more like just letting bub cry and learn to self settle, however you will be in the room with bub and shown techniques such as patting on bottom or bed ryhtmically. They will interview you first and find out what you have tried already and what you hope to achieve etc. My boy had a dummy and I was never told to take it off him so I dont know about the cold turkey thing, but if you want to get rid of the dummy this would be the perfect oportunity as it dummys cause alot of problems to begin with. I say go for it, dont be scared. they will not make you do anything you dont want to. I look back on it fondly, I will never forget the help I got there. I was only there for 4 days as I was on an emergency waiting list and was called in when someone cancelled, our problem wasnt completely resolved by the time we left but i left with the knowledge and courage to sort it out myself and I have never looked back. I have had no sleep porblems with my second boy because I recognise problems before they become problems and put a stop to it reall fast.
I wish you all the best and hope to hear that your stay there was a success.

I have been there with my first born when he was five months old. I was at my wits end and the centre was my saviour! I loved the place! It was like a home away from home. You get your own room and bathroom and babys room with cot. They provide all your meals and help and support 24hrs a day so all you have to do is concentrate on solving the problem. They cater to all sorts of problems so its not really a sleep school. Anyway its wonderful, the staff were fantastic. They run workshops throughout the day to educate us on everything from seetling, routines, feeding, massage, you name it. I came home loaded up with information. They dont use 'controlled crying' as such, its more like just letting bub cry and learn to self settle, however you will be in the room with bub and shown techniques such as patting on bottom or bed ryhtmically. They will interview you first and find out what you have tried already and what you hope to achieve etc. My boy had a dummy and I was never told to take it off him so I dont know about the cold turkey thing, but if you want to get rid of the dummy this would be the perfect oportunity as it dummys cause alot of problems to begin with. I say go for it, dont be scared. they will not make you do anything you dont want to. I look back on it fondly, I will never forget the help I got there. I was only there for 4 days as I was on an emergency waiting list and was called in when someone cancelled, our problem wasnt completely resolved by the time we left but i left with the knowledge and courage to sort it out myself and I have never looked back. I have had no sleep porblems with my second boy because I recognise problems before they become problems and put a stop to it reall fast.
I wish you all the best and hope to hear that your stay there was a success.

That is so great. Thank you for that. I was actually a bit worried about it, I did read mixed reviews on the place. But your story sounds really reassuring.

Before ds could roll he was great. I actually got my chn out and she showed me what to do in regards to self settling and we got it down pat, and then he started rolling and it just went out the window! Because he would roll onto his stomach and get stuck and then just wouldn't stop crying until I rolled him back. So I ended up putting him on my bed and just lying beside him patting/sshhing that worked. But now he is on the move I can't leave him on the bed anymore (we have ha a fall) so now he actually won't go to sleep unless I'm holding him. And if I am able to put him down he only sleeps for 20 minutes and then is up again, but if I hold him the whole time he can sleep up to 2 hours! It's really frustrating.

So my main focus is to get him to be able to self settle again and try get him past his first sleep cycle. Also with the dummy I would live to get rid of it as I never wanted to use one in the first place, but he just loves it! So I don't know if I could take it off him? I guess I will discuss that when I go.

Thanks again for the info and now I'm really looking forward to going. I hope it works!
[quote name='LeeLee89' date='22 February 2012 - 01:21 AM' timestamp='1329837697' post='3146735'] That is so great. Thank you for that. I was actually a bit worried about it, I did read mixed reviews on the place. But your story sounds really reassuring. Before ds could roll he was great. I actually got my chn out and she showed me what to do in regards to self settling and we got it down pat, and then he started rolling and it just went out the window! Because he would roll onto his stomach and get stuck and then just wouldn't stop crying until I rolled him back. So I ended up putting him on my bed and just lying beside him patting/sshhing that worked. But now he is on the move I can't leave him on the bed anymore (we have ha a fall) so now he actually won't go to sleep unless I'm holding him. And if I am able to put him down he only sleeps for 20 minutes and then is up again, but if I hold him the whole time he can sleep up to 2 hours! It's really frustrating. So my main focus is to get him to be able to self settle again and try get him past his first sleep cycle. Also with the dummy I would live to get rid of it as I never wanted to use one in the first place, but he just loves it! So I don't know if I could take it off him? I guess I will discuss that when I go. Thanks again for the info and now I'm really looking forward to going. I hope it works! [/quote Oh and to cut out his nights feeds (comfort feeds) and hopefully he will sleep through the night finally!
We went one week later things were great , then bad then [email protected]!
onemonth later my life is not stressfull now. I leave the room and she does not cry hardly at all.
Sleep school saved me!! us !!! lol

I read her a book swaddle and bed!

good luck

pp she cryed alot in the beginning , hated being left alone we kept goingin but kept putting herback down.
keep at it and its pays off!!
Sign in to follow this topic