Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. When should baby start to fall asleep by themselves? 4 weeks?

When should baby start to fall asleep by themselves? 4 weeks? Rss

When can i start to train my 4 weeks old baby to sleep? As I have a toddler as well who isn't sleeping by herself yet I wanted to train my second baby to sleep by herself asap. She doesn't take dummy( same as my toddler when she was little) and i used a bit of control crying sometimes as I simply don't have time to nurse her to sleep, she sometimes cries then fall asleep, sometimes listeing to music to sleep but I wanted to know if I am doing this too early?

With my frist child I didn't use control crying at all and she has been sleeping with us in the same bed few weeks before my second child was born and now she is trained to sleep without my nipple..yes, she has been feeding to sleep :S so with my second one I really want her to have a good sleeping habbit.
I totally understand I wanted the same thing because my first was very dependent on me when it came to sleep and I didn't want my DD to be the same. But I think it is unrealistic to expect a baby to sleep on its own all the time without needing some comfort. My DD who is my 2nd and is 10 months has gone through phases where she is great and needs hardly any help, then other times she really needs cuddles and assistance to get to sleep like patting, singing etc.

I think it is way too young to use 'controlled crying', but to learn the cry is the most important thing. Like if its just grizzly and sounds tired I would give DD 5-10 mins and see if she got quieter and quieter and started to drift off on her own. If she sounded like she was getting calmer I would just leave her a little longer. As soon as the cry became more needy or distressed I would get her, give her a cuddle and when I felt comfortable put her back down and see how she would go.

There are lots of different approaches, you could look at some books I've heard people talk about here, I don't know any to recommend myself. But yeah I would advise against controlled crying at this age when your baby has needs and comfort from their mother is such a huge one while they are so small. It sounds like what you are doing is good, just encouraging a bit of independence and giving them a chance to settle on their own smile even still I don't remember being comfortable with doing this until about 9 weeks or so

I found it so much easier the 2nd time because I just didn't have the time to run to DD every time she made a peep, but if the cry is distressed please don't leave your baby to cry

I totally understand I wanted the same thing because my first was very depemdent on me when it came to sleep and I didn't want my DD to be the same. But I think it is unrealistic to expect a baby to sleep on its own all the time without needing some comfort. My DD who is my 2nd and is 10 months has gone through phases where she is great and needs hardly any help, then other times she really needs cuddles and assistance to get to sleep like patting, singing etc.

I think it is way to young to use 'controlled crying', but to learn the cry is the most important thing. Like if its just grizzly and sounds tired I would give DD 5-10 mins and see if she got quieter and quieter and started to drift off on her own. If she sounded like she was getting calmer I would just leave her a little longer. As soon as the cry became more needy or distressed I would get her, give her a cuddle and when I felt comfortable put her back down and see how she would go.

There are lots of different approaches, you could look at some books I've heard people talk about here, I don't know any to recommend myself. But yeah I would advise against controlled crying at this age when your baby has needs and comfort from their mother is such a huge one while they are so small. It sounds like what you are doing is good, just encouraging a bit of independence and giving them a chance to settle on their own smile

I found it so much easier the 2nd time because I just didn't have the time to run to DD every time she made a peep

I agree with PP regarding control crying- 4 weeks old is too young to start this. The music thing is a good idea, otherwise just continuous reassurance that you are not far away might help. Do you swaddle/wrap baby? Why do you not have the time to hold or rock baby?? At 4 weeks old I think its still a lovely thing to do.
I fed my baby to sleep every night until she had her HUGE 8 week growth spurt then I could take it no longer! My nurse told me to swaddle, try different sleeping positions, pat and shush. This worked a treat. I would wrap her tightly, lay on her side (with safe-t-sleep wedges to protect her from rolling) and rub up and down her back which is relaxing and brings up any wind. Whilst I did this for a few weeks to make her fall asleep, I then would let her grizzle after a few pats, and she would drop off to sleep after 5 minutes.

Good luck! And remember every baby is different smile
My DD was rocked to sleep up untill 4.5mth old and then she didn't seem to want to be rocked to sleep anymore so i would just put her in her cot and stroke her face and pat her for a minute then say sleep time and walk out most of the time she will fall asleep by herself other times she needs help patting and or listening to relaxing music. She is my first but alot of people told me that babys will fall into a routine when they are ready, so i guess just try a few teqhniques and see what works for you it can be hard at times though smile
my girl didnt learn till about 4 and half to five months old.
there brain is just not developed.
dont push things it will happen when dd is ready
we did go sleep school and started a form or controlled crying at 4 months but that was because it was taking me anhour to get her down each time.
she was a shocker but great now!!
as PP have said I think they all learn at different times. any form of sleep training is not recommended before 6 months, as they just dont have the mental capacity to understand that you will ever come back before that age.
We used dr Jay Gordons night weaning technique at 18 months to drop our last night feed, and that worked really well.

Sign in to follow this topic