Be comfortable in your skin – this is a judgement free zone. Find out more!

Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. was sleeping through - not anymore

was sleeping through - not anymore Rss

My daughter is 6 1/2 months old, and has always been a really good sleeper. She has slept through the night from about 2/3 months until now.

She is usually in bed asleep by 7pm and was quite content to sleep through the night until 7-8 the next morning. She stays awake for 2 hours at a time during the day then is ready for a sleep of about an hour and that hasnt changed.

But now she is also waking up around midnight and then again around 5am for a feed.

Her first 2 teeth are just coming through now, and she has been off her bottles (was having 4x220mls) now drinks about 6x100mls because I cant get her to drink any more than 100mls at a time. She is also having 2 meals of solids a day at breakfast and dinner.

I gather she is waking up because she is hungry/teething and perhaps also having a growth spurt.

Any ideas on what I can do to get her to drink more at a time, so that she is not hungry at night and waking, or do i just go with the flow and put up with her waking at night hoping she will go back to sleeping through once the teething/growth spurt is over.

Tracy, SA, DD 15/3/04 & TTC #2

Treylace

I am having a very similar prob with Bennett

I am hoping the teeth come through soon (although he is a month younger than your bub!!!)

I am BF so just going with the flow ATM although most nights lately its every 90 mins - not always feeding though sometimes its just for a dose of bonjella or panadol.

Good luck

Steph

Steph VIC Mummy to one gorgeous boy

Hi Girls

I had the same problem. My little one was such a good sleeper before 6 months slept all night I thought it was heaven until 6 months came along oh boy did it hit me or what..
I found when we started solids, and I guess he was teething he was rolling etc things started to change his sleep pattern was all over the place. I was forever up and down at night.
At 8 months I’m still waiting for his teeth to come though he has started to settle down at night and is sleeping a lot better.
I found out when he achieved something new he takes a few days/weeks to settle back down.
Cheers Mel

Hey Tracey,

We all have those nights when you just know there's actually a problem like sore gums or a cold or whatever. Just a short word of advice though is to be careful not to let her get into bad habits by accident. I did and ended up in a pretty stressful stiuation.

My daughter started sleeping through about 8wks or something but then suddenly stopped when she hit about 5 1/2 months. I just put it down to her being more hungry needing more substantial (ie solid) feeds during the day, however we added solids as they teach you to and them problem didn't get any better. As a result of this and me getting tired I got lazy and started pulling her into bed with me then we'd both fall off to sleep. The problems really started when she wasn't able to go back to sleep without being in bed with me andwithout a feed. The tireder I got, the worse the problem got and she began waking even more (anywhere from 3 to 8 times in a night) Both she and I got tireder and grumpier until finally a friend loaned me a book called 'Babywise' when Ally was about 8months.

What a Godsend, it guides you through what they call PDF or Parent directed Feeding and within 1 1/2 - 2 wks, she was not only sleeping through, but was also having structured daytime sleeps aswell. Oh Happy family!

Alynta is now just over 12months and everything is still going great because the book helped us learn and lay some basic foundations. Her grandparents are amazed at the difference in her and our sanity has been saved. It also solved our clinginess problems.

You may need also to check out the second in the series which is Babywise 2 and deals with 6 - 15 month olds more specifically, but the first one will give you all the foundational info you need.

Hope this helps, would love to know how you go. If you want anymore info, let me know.
Sign in to follow this topic