Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Sleeping with dummy Rss

This is my first time at posting a question, but I’ve spent the last 4 months reading through everyone else’s questions and comments. It’s been extremely helpful to me as I bring up my first child as best I can.

My beautiful little girl sleeps with a dummy, but usually spits it out some time during the night. Come the early hours of the morning, she wakes up searching for it. I have to get up and put it back in her mouth, where she will then fall back asleep straight away. The problem with this is that it can happen sometimes up to 20 times a night (very frustrating for my sleep habits), and it means that I’m a bit nervous about putting her in her own room, which is quite far from my room. Has anyone had this happen to them, and does anyone have any suggestions?

Annabelle, QLD, born 13-1-06

hi i had the same problem with my DS. he needed the dummy to settle, so naturally he needed it to resettle. what i did (and i dont know if it applies to you) was put him down with his dummy. said goodnight daniel and left his room. if he cried and spat it out, he would have to go to sleep without it. he didnt like it at first, but got used to it. now he sleeps through the night.

Tania. WA, Daniel - 26/01/06... smile

Hey Annabelle - congrats on the first post, wont the last I hope - lol. It is a good site isn't it, although, there are some-times a few heated discussions or not so nice mummies with advice. Ah well, makes for some interesting reading at times.

I took the dummy away from DD when she started to wake constantly and search for it, but never have the skill to actually find it as such. I understand that its not always the best option though.

Other things I've come across was leaving a few dummies in with bubs, so they have a better chance of finding one during the night. Um, you could try and replace the dummy with another type of comforter - blankie, soft toy etc. Or, keep plodding along until bubs grows out of this stage and can easily locate their dummy and hopefully wake for you less.

Its quite normal to be nervous about putting her in her own room. I use to wake a bit more to start with, pop in and check on her. It seemed to take a few weeks before I would actually sleep properly. If there is no hurry, I don't see the harm in keeping bubs with you a bit longer (co-sleep, basinette etc). I think its important you are comforatable, other wise you will be stressed and not sleep properly. Is that a contradiciton - a parent sleeping properly???

Anyway, best of luck !!!

DD is 3yr 8 months - DS is 6 months

my daughter to is like this

it used to be soooo frustrating
if you feel you cannot sperate her from her dummy(i cant lol) when i put Lillie to bed she has one dummy in her mouth and 5...yes 5 around her head
when she wakes in the night she shuffles around and finds another all by herself(quite cute to watch)

mind you i have seen her a few times sucking her dummy then spitting it out(they do get sick of them after a while)

best of luck, 6 dummies really does do the trick

xxxxx

Lillie....1 year old!!!

Sign in to follow this topic