Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Standing in cot Lock Rss

I was wondering if anyone can give me any ideas. My 7month baby girl just started sleeping through the night and I'm very thankful for that, but she has started standing up in her cot and then can't work it out how to get back down. She will almost fall asleep in my arms, but as soon as I put her in her cot, she's wide awake and keep standing up. I'll leave the room and come back to put her back down a few min later and this can go on up to a couple of hours. I sometimes leave her standing and she will scream for as long as I leave her and get even more frustrated when I lay her down. I sometimes have to hold her down just to get her to sleep and when I do that she's asleep within a couple of min!! I've tried a grobag, but it's not working. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Joletta,VIC,6mth baby

Hi Joletta,

I don't have this problem with Ed yet but I have heard that the best way to deal with this problem is to teach them how to get down on their own.

So when you put her to bed it can help if you do not lay her down when you settle her to sleep. Instead, put her into the cot standing up, and then with your hands around her hands, get her to hold on to the spars and slowly lower herself down into a sitting position, as she slides her hands down the cot. Then encourage your her to lie down.

As they get better at doing this, you can then advance to holding only one of their hands as they lower themselves down. Eventually, you can encourage them to hold on to the spars and lower themselves without your help.

Once they can achieve this at naptime, you can also encourage them to do it in the evening. Obviously, until they have mastered the above, they will still need some assistance.

Hope this helps.

Anna, Brisbane, Mum to Ed born 16/08/05 and Beth b

Sign in to follow this topic