Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Playtime at 4AM!! Suggestions please...

Playtime at 4AM!! Suggestions please... Lock Rss

Hi everyone

I need some advice on my little mystery package DS! I say mystery package as I never know what he's gonna do from one day to the next!!!

DS is a serial catnapper - thanks to reflux being undiagnosed for 4 1/2 months, we got into some nasty sleep habits. Long story short, have got into Tizzie's routine. We try to stick to it, but with teething and ear infections - it's tough!

The dreamfeed normally tides him over until about 4AM now (it was 2.30am, then 3AM etc). However, he's not yelling for food - so I leave him (Tizzie says not to go in until they start crying) - but he chats and sings and giggles and calls Dad Dad Dad (still no Mum - I think Bum is the closest so far)... we've been stuck like this for about a month now! I've tried settling techniques, I've tried feeding him, I've tried not feeding him - all to no avail.

Any ideas? He tends to nod back to sleep at about 6AM - I just get back to sleep and DD comes in ready to start the school day. Hubby works away 1 week out of every 2 - and this is a killer for that week he's away.

Suggestions please - I'll try anything.

Cheers
Kez

PS I've added 2 blankets and a sleeping bag so am pretty sure he's not cold.

Kerry, WA, DD 09/00 & DS 11/05

hi,

if you think that it is playtime that he wants, all I could suggest is pull out the most boring toy that you have and let your little one amuse themselves with it until they get bored or tired enough to go back to bed. We had issues with our little one just wanting to play at around 3am, thankfully it was a phase that passed in a couple of weeks! Not sure why it came or went but was very tired!

SJ

just bumping it up... it was 2.30 - 4.30AM this morning. Am getting a little desperate...

Hi everyone

Just wanted to update you all in the hope that I can help someone!

Well, things got worse before they got better I'm sorry to say! He started waking earlier and earlier and staying awake for longer... not crying, just havin' a chat! I continued with trying to resettle, but nothing seemed to work. I think I had tried too many things, that I just forgot what went with what.

Anyway, after battling the little bugger for another week - I called Ngala (which is WAs one stop help me baby/kid shop) and they told me pretty much what I knew already - he just didn't know how to resettle without me. He was just as confused as I was with what works. They told me to simply turn off the monitor and let him chat, then when he starts to cry - listen to his cry and when you think it's time to go in, try to resettle - but get out of there as quickly as possible. They call it "vocal experimentation" which I thought was a hoot! They also asked if he has a dummy - yep! They said that this could also be causing him to wake (which I knew too), but since he liked it he could keep it but buy a chain for it. Then when you go in to resettle at night (a dumy run as we call it), guide his hand down the chain to the dummy, then guide the dummy to his mouth. He should get the idea!

He did! It took one night of waiting for him to vocally experiment for 5 minutes, then I went for a dummy run and did the "guiding" technique and lo and behold - I haven't had to get up in the middle of the night for A WEEK!

He's not sleeping through yet, but is "dummy independent" and is getting better at resettling!

If something doesn't work - just keep trying! Persistance pays, believe me!

Kez

Sign in to follow this topic