Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Please dont me mad - sleeping through question

Please dont me mad - sleeping through question Lock Rss

My DS is 6mths and has been sleeping through since the age of 6 weeks, he now sleeps 12-12.5 hours a night without a problem. Now I am not complaining believe me but my mum keeps telling me that this is not normal and he is sleeping too much, she says I should have more fresh air in his room and because i shut his window (hello, it was 2 degrees the other night!) he is not getting enough air and then is feeling like he has to sleep.
Please dont take this to offence all of those mothers whose babies dont sleep through as i know I am lucky but need to now that this is normal.

Thanks
Julie

Julie, SA, mum to Thomas born 21/11/05

hi, this isnt a silly question.
just letten you know that me 4 month DS sleeps 11.5-12.5 hrs a night, in bed at 7pm and up at 7am. scince about 2 months id ben putten him to bed at 7pm n getten him up at 7am (with feeds in between), so as to form a bit of a habit, and for us it has worked..... mind you, hes only ben doen this for a week and a half... so we can only cross our fingers and hope it keeps goen smile

so i believe it is fine that your ds sleeps so long

good luck julie

Belinda, Qld, aiden 26.01.06', brock 19/07/07

Hey that is awsome

All the books I read say babys of 6 months should get 12 hours of sleep a night and two to three naps a day of about an 1hr each.

I think most babies of 6 months get the 12 hour sleep over night, but they just wake up once or twice to go back to sleep.

Forget your mum's opinion and enjoy!!!!

Jo, SA, Dylan born Dec 05

Hey,

How great is that! My bub goes down at 7pm and gets up usually at 7pm.

According to everything I have read babies need 12 hours sleep at night and if that is what your bub is doing it is all good.

However their sleep patterns can change at any time.
dont fell bad
i never have a window open in DD's room
What abot a draft?? that could make our little angels sick!!!!!

its alwyas so warm and toasty in there

xxx

Lillie....1 year old!!!

Make the most of it while you can. Our little girl is 6 months and has NEVER slept through the night. The most we can get is 6 hours. I can only dream of 12 hours.
Good luck with it continuing

Ruth mum to Ella - Nov 2005

Hi Julie,
So long as your son is happy, healthy and gaining weight is the main thing! Its the lack of sleep they might have that you would have to worry about! Maybe you were a little terror, keeping your mum up at different times of the night and she feels you deserve to get what you gave! LOL!
It technically isn't normal - the norm is to have a child that does wake through the night - I think there is more of us who have been or are in that boat, but we would all love to be in your shoes!! I'll be praying for one of them next time!
Anyway, enjoy your sleep, and let your boy have his and tell mum 'no sour grapes' LOL!

DD1 July 2004 DD2 August 2007 DS September 2009

Hi Julie,

I think it's a generational thing, with your mum thinking the window should be open - our mums were told to put their babies outside in their prams for their day sleeps, regardless of the weather - maximum fresh air was the fashion then!

As long as you open the window during the day for a while to air the room, and don't shut the door completely at night, just leave it open a crack so it doesn't get stuffy and some air can move around, then I wouldn't worry.

Lucky you for having such a good sleeper! smile

This new forum is strange ...

My daughter sleeps for about 12/13 hours (6 months old) and has for ever...

I spoke to my CYH nurse and she said if she is happy doing that then everything is ok!

How long does bub sleep in the day? My daughter has about 4 hours in hte day and then the big sleep at night.

i think if it is working for you and bub go with it smile

Love the fact you have a baby that sleeps

Ebony

Sign in to follow this topic