Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. How old does bubs have to be before i drop dreamfeed?

How old does bubs have to be before i drop dreamfeed? Lock Rss

Hi all,

My jessica is 14 weeks old and last night she slept from 7:30pm til 7:45am without a feed in between. She has done this a few times before but usually i wake her around 10-10:30pm for a feed. She used to take a full bottle at this time (150mls)but now struggles to finish 100mls and its pretty clear that she doesn't want it. So last night i was exhausted and thought "stuff it, i'll let her wake up when she's hungry" - but she didn't. She's never been a big feeder but i'm concerned that she's a little too young to be going this long without a feed?? I certainly don't expect her to do it every night but should i just let her do her own thing? She's gaining weight very well so there's no problems there. In dropping the dreamfeed she goes down to only 4 feeds a day (and not big ones, usually only between 100-150mls each). She is a shocking catnapper during the day, only sleeping for 45 minutes at a time so it could just be exhaustion that gets her through the night. If so, am i doing the wrong thing by not waking her for the extra feed?? Its a real pain, because she never wants it, and it takes an hour to get it into her! I know my eldest daughter would sleep from about 8:30pm - 8:30am as a baby but i can't remember how young she was when she did this, and i'm pretty sure i used to somehow get 5 feeds a day into her (but she LOVED her bottles and never complained about that).....
All the routines experts (tizzie hall etc.) say that the dreamfeed won't be dropped until beginning of solids.........

Sarah, mum of Natalie & Jessica

if the dreamfeed is not working for you - then dont do it! sounds to me like your DD doesnt really want it anyway. if she is content and gaining weight, id say 4 bottles a day is fine - thats what my DS has been on for quite a few weeks. if she's hungry, she'll let you know!!!!

if it makes you feel any better, my brother and sister slept through from 6 weeks old. they never had dreamfeeds back then. they were sleeping 12 hours a night.

Tania. WA, Daniel - 26/01/06... smile

Sign in to follow this topic