Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

sleeping on stomach Rss

Hi Everyone

My beautiful little boy is just over 7 months old and for the last few weeks has taken to sleeping either on his side or his stomach.
Apart from my worries about SIDS from sleeping like this, it's also disrupting his sleep pattern.
Before this started to happen he would quite happily sleep for about 2 hours between feeds and about 10 hours overnight. But now he wakes up all the time and I have to turn back over on to his back, sometimes he will go straight back to sleep and other times I will have to re settle him. I have tried waiting until he's asleep and then putting him on his back, but when I go and check on him a few minutes later he has rolled himself back over again.

Has anyone else had this happen to them?
Will he grow out of doing this?
If any one has any solutions or ideas I would love to hear from you.

Thanks

double trouble

My bub does the same! She has taken to sleeping on her belly during the night and wakes up distressed because she can't get back onto her back. Safety-wise I don't think it matters after 6months. Gemma is 8months old. She has gotten used to it and is noe sleeping through. I don't have any blankets on her for her to get stuck in. She just sleeps in a sleep suit - warm house.

Lisa

Lisa, Qld, Mum to be

Hi Lisa

It's good to know that Matthew will eventually get used to sleeping on his stomach the sooner the better I say, last night he woke up 3 times!.
I don't use any blankets either, no point as he just kicks them off after about 2 seconds.
Hope your little girl is well.

Thanks

Kym

double trouble

My daughter started sleeping on her stomach when we did controlled crying at 6 months. I was concerned at first but I checked with the baby health clinic and they said that if she can move around easily and gets herself on her stomach there is little point to changing her position. We now leave her in any position she crashes in, she also wakes alnight (sometimes up to 7 times) but I dont think this is because of her positioning.

DD#1- 2004, DD#2 -2006, DD#3 -23/10/08.

Hi Mathew's Mum
My little fella is seven months old and has been sleeping on his side or tummy since he was about five months old. I used to worry and kept turning him back but with very little succes and finally gave in to his wishes. I now put him into a sleeping bag and let him sleep in whatever position suits him. I find him all over the cot, often laying sideways across the top!!
I do worry about sids but have a monitor and he can now turn himself into any position he wants, so I just let him be. It seems to work better for all of us. We all get a reasonable nights sleep.
I'm sure your little boy will get more used to sleeping in all sorts of strange positions and will soon be able to make himself more comfortable without you having to help him.
A little time and patience and it will all work out. Good luck

Helen & Charlie, Vic

Hi Matthews mum,

My daughter started doing the same thing, and i was having the same problems, i ended up buying a safe t sleep wrap and i dont have the problem anymore, now Maddisyn stays in the position i put her in and its a load of my mind worring.
Sherrie and baby Maddisyn 09/09/04
Hi Matthews mum,
When i used a quilt or blankets for my daughter she always would twist and turn herself around and end up waking herself up. I bought her a sleeping bag and after she got used to it - took a couple of days, now she moves all over the cot and her sleep is never disturbed. She just has a light fleecy blanky to snuggle up to and can even stand in the cot with her bag on. She is always cosy and warm now as well, i highly recommend them.

jen, mum to sahra born 28.6.04

My baby boy is 9 months old and has been sleeping on his stomach from birth.. its the only way he would sleep...

in reverse to ur babies he now sleeps every way possible.. on his back.. side.. and front...

We were at first worried.. but he is so strong.. and was right from birth... contrary to what htey say.. some docs actually say babies have less risk of SIDS on their fronts.. i know we r taught o sleep baies on their backs.. but in the end.. theres no way u can stop them..

Karina, S.A, mum to Kaleb born 25/07/04

Sign in to follow this topic