Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Going out of my mind!!!!!

Going out of my mind!!!!! Rss

Hi my name is Letitia and I have a 10 month old baby boy. The problem we are having is he keeps waking during the night at least 4 times. The major thing that is causing the most concern is when he wakes aroung the 2-3am time frame he has rolled on to his belly and sits up still half asleep and starts to cry. I then have to put his dummy back in and lay him down. It seems he does not do this on purpose it just give both him and myself a fright. He was born 5 weeks early and we have always had problems with him sleeping. We went to the day stay and did the controlled crying for several weeks but all it got us was even more sleepless nights and lots of pulled out hair. He just screamed for at least 2 hours and the midwife said he will eventually give in. He did't.The only time he every slept through was when he was 4 months old and it only lasted 3 weeks. I just don't know what to do. I have been thinking of the Riverton centre but am scared they will want to do the controlled crying thing again. I have been back at work for 4 months now working 2 days a week but from the 12th of January I will be working 4 days a week, and would like to have my son sleeping better by then. Lets hope someone has the answers for me. We have tried just about everything. I have felt for a long time that I was the only one with this problem now I know I am not. I live in Northern Brisbane, so if any one knows where I can get help that would be great.
Hi Letitia,

you poor thing after all this sleep deprivation you must be exhausted - and working too!!!!

I had a similar problem with my first child. I have lots of questions before considering what advice to give you, such has solids, bottle/breastfed & routine.

If you would like to chat my email address is jyhorvat@optusnet.com.au

would love to hear from you.

Vic, 2 girls - 9 yo & 17mth old

Hi Letitia,

haven't heard from you so hopefully you are feeling better and have had some rest.

Vic, 2 girls - 9 yo & 17mth old

Hi Letitia,
I have been where you are. I have only just come out of the situation about 2 weeks ago after 9 months of hell. My little man had not slept a night through since birth. It would improve to 2-3 wakings and then spiral down to 10-15 wakings per night. I too have the dummy problem as he has had that since he was 2 weeks old. 3 weeks ago I attended the Riverton Clinic for 5 days. I found it to be helpful, but don't go there expecting all problems to be solved and to bring home an angel that sleeps 12 hours a night. I found my expectations were too high. Saying that though, it has really helped me alot, because Sebastian is now sleeping through, generally, only waking with sore teeth. He has learnt to put his own dumy back in. I bought him one of those ones that glow in the dark so he has no trouble locating it. If you can get into Riverton, it is worth it. They really focus on routine. I found I was going out to dinner too often and keeping him up too late. This was throwing him out and upsetting him. They do use the controlled comforting technique, which I don't like either. However they only leave bub for a maximum of 20 minutes before resettling (it starts at 10 minutes). It is hard to hear them cry but in the long run it is better for both you and bub. Anyway my advice is put your name down for Riverton anyway, it is usually a long wait, and work on a routine that stays the same every day. Their two key words were be persistant and consistent. You may be able to solve the problem before your admittance. I am on the gold coast by the way so if you ever need a sanity chat my email is njhooker@bigpond.com
Take care of yourself
Nicole

Nicole, Queensland, almost 3 yo boy - Sebastian

Thank you both for replying to me. Things are starting to look up he is now only waking once! It took a long time but I am just hoping this lasts. He is starting to cut another tooth and I thought it would throw out all this work but it has not. Peter now puts himself off to sleep and if he wakes up during the night he has started to play or talk to himself and then goes back to sleep. It has been wonderful getting some more sleep. I did not do the controlled crying or anything like that, just one night he started going to sleep when I put him in his bed. Some times he cries for a couple of minutes but then goes to sleep. And the other thing he is using his beautiful cot!!!!! after months of trying to get him to sleep in it he finally likes it. I think it won't be long though that he will be into a bed. Anyway thank you both again.Letitia
Sign in to follow this topic