Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Lying down in cot - forget it - I can sit now Mum!!

Lying down in cot - forget it - I can sit now Mum!! Lock Rss

Just wondering if anyone else had problems with sleep once their clever babies learnt how to sit on their own?

My little girl (8 months) now sits in her cot whenever I put her down for a nap. She has not been settling herself (even though we've been trying to get her to do this). I have ended up rocking her to sleep after giving her the opportunity to put herself to sleep.

She will sit in her cot and rub her eyes furiously, but not lay down and go to sleep. She cries tremendously when left alone for the usual settling time. When I try to pat her to settle her, she just sits straight back up again.

She has not been wrapped for ages and I think she is probably too old for that now. I've not tried the sleeping bag things yet. Tucking in, well that has not been successful.

I have been going a bit soft in case it is her teeth playing up (she has none yet).

Is it just a matter persisting with her or does anyone have any other ideas that might work for us. Thanks

WA - gorgeous little girl

My daughter also did the same and still does. She likes to go to sleep where ever I am. This is very hard as she is nearly 1 year old. But I know her teeth have been playing up she has just gotthe last of her First molars she has 12 teeth. My daughter like to stand at the end of the cot if I put her there to go to sleep.She is slowly getting used to it.But I think it is persistance will pay off in the end.
I would also like to here of any ideas!!!
Thanks.

Kerry,Vic and 1 year old girl

Hi Karen

I think this is a pretty normal stage that most babies go through. My son did the same thing when he was about 6 months. I remember our child health nurse telling me when they learn new 'tricks' - sitting, crawling, standing etc - they love to practice as much as possible - especially at bedtime!!! She suggested to just keep up with our normal sleeptime routine and he will eventually settle down again. It took about a month, but he did settle down again. The other thing is most babies experience some degree of separation anxiety at around 8 months so that may have something to do with it as well. If this is the case, the best thing to do is give your daughter lots of reassurance. During this stage I used to put my son to bed and tell him 'It's time for sleep', tuck him in and leave his room, then if he started to cry I'd go back in and try to get him to lie down and reassure him that I was still there and when he was settled again I'd leave him to try and fall asleep on his own. Sometimes I'd have to go in a few times but usually he'd go to sleep by himself. Another thing the nurse told me is that once they are good sleepers, even when they go through stages like this they usually go back to being good sleepers as long as you keep up your normal routine. It does sometimes take a bit of patience - as I said my son was like this for a month - but he did go back to 'normal'. Sorry to rave on for so long. I hope this helps. Let us know how you go.

Take care
Jasmine
Sign in to follow this topic