Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. I've got a living alarm thats stuck on 5.30am!!

I've got a living alarm thats stuck on 5.30am!! Rss

Hi,

My daughter has just turned 4 months old and for the past 3 week or so has been waking up at about 5.30 every morning. and its driving me crazy!!

She has always been a good night sleeper, we start her winding down/bath/bottle/bed routine at about 7 and she is generally in bed by 8.30 - 9. and she then sleeps through until 5.30 (although i do have to get up a couple of times to put her dummy back in her mouth). i know this is good and i probably shouldn't complain but if she would just sleep in an extra hour i'd be much happier, and far less tired. for about the past week i've been just getting up and standing by her cot to keep giving her back her dummy and patting her on the back just trying to teach her to stay settled but doesn't seem to change anything. someone told me not to feed her because she'll get used to it and just keep waking.

does anyone have any ideas to help me?
Hi Zoe. lol anyone following my posts will think i am the author of save our sleep. but i'm not. i just found it a real life saver and want to share it with the world! I too had an early riser any where from 4.30 onward. i would try putting him to bed later to get him to sleep longer but it didnt work. what i learnt from the "sos" book was by putting to bed earlier you encourage them to sleep longer. so insted of ds going to bed at 8 - 8.30 he is now in bed between 6.45 an 7pm. and yep he now wakes after 6am so my suggestion is to try an earlier bedtime.
good luck.

i''''m baking a baby

I also put my son to sleep at 6-6:30pm and he sleeps until 6-6:30am. Give it a go you have nothing to lose. Yeh it sucks getting up ay 6am but its a long sleep and you have heaps more time in the evening with hubby.
thanks for your replys, but i've tried getting her to sleep earlier but she just won't go down, i reckon i could try for 2 hours to get her to go to sleep, but just won't go any earlier. so i'm trying, when she wakes between 5 & 5.30, i just keep putting her dummy back in, and i won't pick her up until about 6.30 and i'll feed her then, just hoping maybe she'll learn feed times not until 6.30 and eventually her body clock will change .... although by the time this happens my clock will have adjusted to and 5.30 will be a breeze!!
Hi Zoe
I just got onto forum to see if anyone else had a 5.30am wake up call and read your letter. I can relate completely. I am trying to follow the sos book that was mentioned but I can put my lovely 8mth old down at 6pm or 7pm but he still wakes at 5.30am and in no way will he resettle. The sos book suggests that having good sleeps during the day will improve night time sleep but even when we have good day sleeps it makes no difference so if you find a solution let me know cause I am at a loss.
Amber
LOL my son done this too at about a couple of days old tho and my DP used him as the alarm clock it only happend for a mnth as he slept through at 1mnth...

Alanna,VIC DD 030503 DS1 290605 & DS2 040407

I CAN'T SEE WHAT YOU ARE COMPLAINING ABOUT. my dd wakes up sooo many times during the night, i would be sooo happy if she did what your little one is doing...

Louise - mum to toddler Cadence smile]

Hello

If your bub's aren't waking because they are hungry, perhaps you could try something that Tizzie Hall suggested, and it seemed to work for us. My DS was also waking at 5.30am and Tizzie suggests trying to stretch them out an extra half an hour for their first nap. So if you normally put your baby to sleep at 8.30am, try to put him to bed at 9am. She says she can't explain it, but generally this will make them go an extra half an hour in the morning i.e. 6am wake up instead of 5.30am. This worked for us.

Also perhaps make sure your baby's room is warm enough as generally this can be the cold part of the night. We use an oil column heater that has a timer so that the heater comes on in the early hours of the morning.

Let me know how you go...

One year old - Victoria

Ha, oh dear,

this is going to sound silly but at the moment id be happy for her to wake up at 5.30 again so long as she slept through the night. she's been so unsettled and sooky. for the past week with the exception of one nighti've been up at least every 1.5 hours trying to resettle her, and after pacing the house with her i give up and end up feeding her - not that this helps either. so i just don't really know what to do with her. before last week she had a great routine, and waking early was the only problem i had, all until monday when she got her immunisation, started getting a cold and one of her eye teeth has started to rear its ugly head (first tooth, but seems to have gone back down now)

sorry got way off subject, but i think i'm going CRAZY!!
i better go and get some tea before she wakes again....
Hi Louiemum.I can relate to your frustration dont worry. I am frustrated at the 5.30am wake up because we have come so far but seem to have come to a hault here. My 8mth old was sleeping through up until 5mths then was doing what you are experiencing now and after alot of long nights have got him to get to 5.30am. I do enjoy the bit of extra sleep(although I have to get out of the habit of waking every hour)I wish I could get him to the 7am mark everyone says is possible.
[Edited on 01/06/2007]
Sign in to follow this topic