Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. Do i let her have a nap?

Do i let her have a nap? Lock Rss

My daughter is nearly 6months and as long as i can remember, i have been feeding her every 3hrs she has 2-3 naps and then when its after her 3rd nap i dont let her have a nap b4 her bed time so she stays away 3hrs straight and off to bed. But then 3 weeks ago the chick at the clinic said i should start feeding her every 4hrs. so i have but when it comes to staying awake for 4hrs she just cant. I dunno what to do. When shes been awake for more then 3hrs she just starts to cry alot and its not even 7pm yet. Her last feed is at 8 and bed after that. Can you let me know what you guys do? please. I hate her being so sad

Karen - Jasmine 14/1/05 & Damon 31/1/07

hi strawberries
Does u feed ur daughter then straight to bed? If this is the case maye u need to take feeding away form bed time.. so that she has a sleep then feed, then play then sleep.. make sense? slowly push the 4 hour mark... so in da morn when she first wakes up, feed, then play till nap time, then after nap, feed, play again till nap time...
I had to change ash's rouinte to this when he was 8 months old cause he was having to many feeds, now he a wonderful sleeper and can stay awake.. now i got the prob of cutitng out a nap! though he is 11 months so u got a while for that!
anyway hope this helps..

Ashton 13/8/04, dylan 27/8/05, #3 due 22/9/07

Hi Karn

Were you told exactly WHY you should be so strict with your bub's feeds?? I am not sure why that would be necessary ... and with such tiny tums, how can bubs go that long anyway? We, as adults with much bigger stomach capacities, [LOL] often have something to eat or drink every couple of hours don't we?

Unless there was some particular, SPECIAL reason you were told to do that, I would be just going with what works for you and DD! Happy bub = happy mum. eh?

smile
Karen, you go with your instincts, all bubs are different and your bub obviously loves her kips!
I used to breast feed my bub every 3 hours until she was about 8-9months, then SHE initiated the fact she didnt need it as much anymore.
MY child health nurse said i was doing a fantastic job! It sounds like you both have a great routine going together, of course it will change in time but just go with the flow and follow her cues.
When my bub was 6 months she was up for 2 hours, down for 2 hours and her big stretch at night was 3 and a half hours.
If you and your little daughter are happy, you sound like its all going great!
Well done i say. smile

jen, mum to sahra born 28.6.04

Hi Strawberries,
I have 6month old twins, and I managed to stretch their feeds out to 4 hourly at about 4 and a half months. I would feed them on waking, then keep them up for 2 hours during the day, and then let them sleep for 2 hours. Then they would wake up for their next feed. Sometimes they wouldn't sleep for 2hrs but it was always at least 1 and a half hrs. Now they stay awake for up to 2 and a half hrs at a time and then have a sleep. They generally sleep 12-13 hrs at night and then have 3 1 and a half to 2 hr sleeps during the day which seems alot but they need it! Hope this helps in some way. I agree that you can't possibly keep them awake when they are really tired-it's cruel. I think that 3 hrs would be a maximum for this age, although all babies are different I guess.
can you tell the signs your daughter is giving you when she is tired? if you can, and she seriously cant stay awake put her to bed.
ALSO all those women at the clinic are supposed to recomend every 4hours - but remember EVERY BABY is different. My boy used to feed every 4hours, and it changed around 4months to 3hourly feeds druing the day and the last one at night would be at 9pm and he would wake at 6am so still the same amount of feeds but every 3hours rather than 4...
Just see what works for you!

mumsgroup.tk -Kayden 31.1.05 & Tianah 25.8.06

I'm not sure if I read this right (I have re-read a couple of times)... But did you mean that the CHN told you to keep your baby awake for 4 hours or is this before her bed time if you move to 4 hourly feeds?

Initially I was feeding every 3 hrs too as she was a low birthweight and CHN said it was better to get lots of 'littler' feeds in rather than try and give her a big feed which she wouldn't finish.

My DD is now 6 mths and she has 4 hourly feeds (started them at 4.5 mths) but is only awake for 2 hrs at a time - she can't make it any longer. DD has a 50 min 'battery recharger' nap at around 9am and 4pm with her big sleep at lunch time. She goes to bed at 7pm.

Something that I was wary of was putting her to bed late in the arvo, especially when she was due to be feed in an hour or so and bedtime was around the corner but I started doing it anyway cause she was just too knacked and got really upset. Low and behold it worked! She only sleeps for 50 mins but it is enough to make her happy and ready for her bath feed bed!

Let me know how you get on!

Sign in to follow this topic