Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. sleeping with or without dummy???

sleeping with or without dummy??? Lock Rss

My DD is nearly 4 months old and has never taken to the dummy, so i have never used one. She has been really easy to settle for sleep during the day and at night, until about 3 nights ago!! All of a sudden she has become really unsettled when its time to go to sleep. i tried the dummy again and she went to sleep straight away. Now i don't know whether to start using the dummy or take it away from her before she becomes dependant on it to get her to sleep.....

Emma - first time mum, DD - Briar 3 mths

Emma SA - Briar 15/03/07

Hi Emma, it's completely your choice, but just wanted to tell you my experience.
My DS didn't have the dummy till about 3 1/2 months. Can't remember why we gave it to him, but he then had it until he was about 5months old. Like you said, he usually went straight to sleep when I put it in his mouth, but then he started waking in the night for it. It got to the stage where I was getting up anywhere up to 15 times a night just to put it back in for him. Sometimes I wouldn't even make it back to my room and he would start whinging again. And if I left him too long then he would wake up more and take me ages to get him back to sleep.
He's now 7 1/2 months old and sleeps great without the dummy.
Goodluck
Kel

Hi there,
My ds rarely has a dummy, i actually only gave him a dummy because he was sucking on his thumb. However i do keep a dummy in his cot for those unsettled periods when i can't settle him any other way (it's the last resort). There is only two other times i use it, when he is really over tired or we are shopping (he won't relax while shopping - to much happening). I have been doing this for a few months now and he doesn't rely on it to go to sleep.

shyone, ds1 09/02/07, ds2 13/02/09 nsw

thanks for all your advice. I don't want to start giving it to her all the time but have started giving it to her when she is over tired and can't settle. Will see how that goes for a while, but only trying to use it as a last resort... funny thing is she didn't take the bottle either and now all of a sudden she takes that too.....

Emma SA - Briar 15/03/07

Sign in to follow this topic