Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Sleep & Settling
  5. sleep settling during the day

sleep settling during the day Rss

I have a 3 1/2 month old boy and is not such a great sleeper during the day. He has a dummy and will settle but wake up after about 1/2 hour and won't resettle himself back to sleep. Any ideas?
He is also really unsettled and won't sleep from 6pm until last feed at 9.30 - 10 pm but will sleep after that. He appears to be abit windy and because he only poos once a week I am wondering if this is a factor. He is a breastfed baby.

kristy, VIC, 2 1/2 yrs & 3 mths

We now have a 6.5 month old who sleeps well during the day. We too had this problem and it was driving me insane. Finally I decided to place him on his stomach to sleep. This worked. Over a period of about a week his sleep periods got longer and longer. I believe it was due to wind. We started him sleeping on his stomach at around three months.

We do however have a problem of getting him to nod off in the pram. We go out walking and he will stay awake the whole time. We get home and he is overtired and cranky and then we have troubles getting him to sleep. He cries in the pram because he is tired and then we resort to picking him up and carrying. He is nearly 8 kilos and we don't want to carry him anymore. Our backs are killing us.

Any suggestions to getting him to sleep in the pram?
My son had terrible wind problems when he was a little baby. I tried a natural formula called "Infants Friend" you can get it at the chemist for around $5.00. It settles their belly down and tastes really nice. I had my son on this for three days and the difference was incredible. I kept him on it for a few months as it is only a really small dose that you give them befiore their bottle and it really helped all thr way through. It might be worth a try.
Hi Kristy,
My last baby boy was the same when he was born. Would only cat nap in 20 minute naps. At 6.5 weeks, I put him onto solids (rice cereal), and he immediately started sleeping right through the night, and his daytime sleeps increased to 1.5 hours. He is now 9 months old, very healthy and has a 1.5 hour sleep in the morning, and 2-3 hours in the afternoon, goes to bed at 8pm and doesn't wake until around 7am.
Maybe you little man is starting to want more then just milk. You could try solids ( if you haven't already). Don't be too concerned about him only doing 1 poo a week, as this is common in bf babies, unless he normally goes more than this, in which case you could try giving him diluted apple juice. Golden circle make a baby apple juice for babies from 6 months. This is ok to use, but you need to dilute it at least 50/50 for a younger baby. Hope this helps.
Tracey

Mother of 3, Qld

Have you tried placing a muslin or light cloth over the pram? This works for us, the baby has nothing to stimulate her, so gets bored and nods off. Be prepared for a few moments of grumpiness at first though, works better once the baby gets tired and her eyes start glazing over. Alternatively, try the same scenery. I recently took the pram on laps of our pool, the baby drifted off on lap 6!
Sign in to follow this topic