Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

What To Feed A 5 Month Old!! Lock Rss

Hey i was just wondering if any one could please give me a idea on which fruits and veggies would be ok to give my 5 month old i tried the tins but they work out a little bit to expensive..
Thanks!!
sammyjo
Hi Sammyjo
I had start my bub on solids at 4.5mths as she wasnt gaining weight, and I'll just tell you what I gave her ... Its recommended to try each new food for a week before introducing new ones. But doing this would take forever to get thru all the fruits and vegies!!! But since your bub is very young i would stick to that rule for a while.

- Started off with rice cereal mixed with cooled boiled water but u can mix with b/milk or formula
- steamed pumpkin, pureed
- sweet potato and white potato (water down with liquid)
- steamed apple and ripe pears. My baby prefered the sweeter "golden delicious" apples, they are the yellow looking ones.
- Avocado - fresh
all of these can be mixed with rice cereal

freeze in icecube trays overnight and then transfer to a container. Bubs won't eat much at the beginning so steaming a few apples or pears will last weeks! and definitely save u money!!!

The rice cereal and the apple made my bub very constipated, so you could just see how your baby goes.

Basically if your baby loves veggies then go for it! I think corn is meant to be an allergenic food, and also avoid citrus.

Sherri, mum to Ella Bella Baby Bear ~ 21.01.05

Hi,

Squash and cauliflower are fab vegies because they blend very easy and they taste sweet so the bubs love them. Also, banana (you can mix it with ricotta for calcium), carrots (mix with swede) brocoli, peas, parsnip....... I have found that trying my 7 month old baby on pretty much all vegies and fruit she has got use to a wide variety and isn't very fussy.
Good luck!

Susannah NSW

Hey Sammyjo

We got a list from Plunket which is produced by watties, on what foods to give at which age.
From 4-6 months you can give the following food:
Apple, Apricot, Avocado, Banana, Carrot, Kamokamo, Kumara, Marrow, Peaches, Pears, Potato, Puha, Pumpkin. All these foods need to be cooked apart from Avocado and Banana. Apparently if you give them Banana they should be really ripe (like if you made a banana cake) otherwise they give them gut ache.
You can add breast milk, formula or water to the food to get the right texture.

Good luck.
When I started my first child on solids i could not get her to eat plain rice cereal and personally don't blame her. I used to mix it with a little bit of honey or the baby food fruit apple and pears were her fav i think. Also whatever vegies we had for tea i would just blend up and store for her.

Yasmin, WA, 2yr old & 7 mth old

hi, my bub is nearly 6 months, i started her on solids just before 5 months. I started on plain rice cereal she loved it! I now introduce a new food each 3-4days. I started with banana, not reccomended, i think its a bit hard for them to digest. she now has had ( mixed with the rice cereal)
*carrot puree
*sweet potato
*advocardo mashed- she even eats it on its own.

My health nurse has said when they are ok with the rice cereal you can start them on weet-bix as it has more fibre. I tried that and she didn't like it.
between 4-6 months You can give pumpkin, zucchini, potato, parsnip, broccoli, cauliflower.
pears, apples,peaches, apricots, melon, also broth chicken or lamb.
it's better to start on veg as fruit is sweeter and they will prob like it so if you get them used to veg's then it'll be easier to give it to them i guess when they get older. with the tin food its cheaper and better for bubs if you cook it yourself. let me know how you go with it.
Sign in to follow this topic