Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Solids and General Feeding Issues
  5. How soon to move to a second or third meal a day?

How soon to move to a second or third meal a day? Lock Rss

My 5 and a half month old daughter has just started solids. I have been giving her rice cereal in the morning, about an hour after her breastfeed. She has about 1-2 tablespoons and loves it. When should I start giving her a second or third meal? When I start her on vegetables, should I give it instead of the rice cereal or as the second meal? Do I continue to give the same amount of breastfeeds a day as before?

WA, daughters born May 2005 and June 2007

Hi Carra,

My daughter is 7 months old now and she too took to solids very well. I started with the rice cereal in the morning the same as you with maybe an ice cube of fruit (defrosed of course!) when she was taking a small bowl say 2-3 tbsp I introduced dinner and started giving vegies. Some people swap to give the rice cereal for dinner and the vegie for breakie just incase they have a reaction to it but I would definately give the two meals a day and once she gets use to the vegies with no allergic reaction you can swap back round and have vegies for dinner. I also started lunch once my wee one was taking a few tbsp's of dinner and then she got the idea of having three meals and they just built up in quantity over time. As for the breast feeding I offered 5 feeds a day when I was giving two meals and then once she ate more food cut down to 4 feeds but Im sure she will do it herself, they seem to just cut out what they dont need but having said that my baby is and always has been a very poor milk drinker so she wasnt fussed either way.
Hope this helps and good luck.

Susannah NSW

Hi there,

My little girl who is almost 6mths only started solids yesterday and went straight to having 3 solids a day. She loves it and has no problems. She has 2 small meals for brekky and lunch and has a bigger serve at night before bed. She is only having rice cereal at the moment but will add a little fruit in a couple of days.

I still give my girl the same amount of breast and formula feeds as before but she doesn't have as much when she has her meals.

Mum(29) - DS 7yr, DD 4yr & DD 2yr

it depends on what you think she needs.

I started the same as you did. It wasnt until i thought my son was ready for more that i started giving more. Some babies take to solids better than others. It was 3-4months before i started introducing a 3rd meal (lunch) because he didnt need it. Some people do say once you start solids you shouldnt stop and you should just keep adding week by week... but my son wasnt ready for that, so i waited. He is fine now... so there wasnt a problem

GOODLUCK mumsgroup.tk

mumsgroup.tk -Kayden 31.1.05 & Tianah 25.8.06

Sign in to follow this topic