Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Formula Rejection Lock Rss

Hi Everyone

I hope you can help!

My daughter is 7 months old and has been on solids for 1 & 1/2 months but since starting solids she doesn't want all the bottles she is meant to have in one day.

Now that she's rejecting one of her bottles she's waking up in the middle of the night again.

I've tried giving her water/juice as a replacement but she doesn't want that either.

Has anyone got any suggestions???

Tracey (Tylah born 25/03/05 and Ava born 4/4/08)

Hi Tracey

Maybe reduce the amount of solid food she is eating. Milk - whether formula or breastmilk - is still meant to be the main source of nutrition for babies until around 12 months. Although if she is still gaining weight and having plenty of wet nappies I wouldn't worry too much. I remember at one of our mother's groups at the clinic someone had the same concern and the nurse said that the amounts on the formula tins are a guide only - all babies have different appetites. I've breastfed both of my children so i never know how much they are getting - the only indications that I knew they were drinking enough were their wet nappies and weight gain. Maybe she just doesn't need as many bottles anymore.

Take care
Jasmine
Hi there Tylah's mum,

This happened to my son too when I started him on solids. He is 6 months old on the 30th April. I battled on for a month or so, really trying (forcing!) the formula into him, then gave up and reduced each bottle feed by 60mls. He now has all four bottles a day no worries, plus his three solid feeds and sometimes at the last bottle for the day he will drink an extra 60 mls. At six months they are meant to have about 720 mls formula/day, so he is getting this and more. (has 4x 180 ml feeds daily). This honestly made such a difference, I couldn't believe it and his weight has not been affected at all.
Hope this helps.

P.S. If she leaves some formula at the end of a feed, use it to mix into the solid food to thin it down etc. Sneaky way of making sure she gets it!!

Liz

Sign in to follow this topic