Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Refuses ALL solids Rss

Hi,
I was just wondering if anyone has had the same prob. My baby is almost 6months old, and i have been trying to introduce solids the last few weeks, with no success at all. She has been fully breastfed up until this point, 4 feeds per day, with great weight gain, and no problems.
I initially started trying farex. As soon as the food touches her lips, she screws up her face like you are trying to give her the most disgusting thing in the world, and she turns her head, purses her lips, even pushes your hand away. If i make her laugh i can sometimes get it into her mouth , and she may swallow it, or just keep smiling and let it run out of her mouth. When she does swallow it, she usually is screwing up her face, with a look of 'i cant believe you are making me eat this' smile
I have tried other foods, cause i thought maybe she just disliked the taste. I have tried diluted juice in bottles etc, i have put different tastes on my finger to let her taste it, but it seems the only thing she will accept is breast milk... and turns her head away from everthing else.
Any suggestions smile Other than that, she is a very happy baby.
Cheers

kath, NSW, mum to baby girl, born 21/09/03

Hi
Maybe she isnt ready for solids yet, do you mix breast milk with the farex? Maybe you could try giving breast milk off a spoon until she gets used to having a spoon in her mouth.
My daughter never liked the taste of farex and wouldnt eat it so I started her on pureed patato,pumpkin and carrot mixed together.

Maybe you could try giving her a piece of toast with marmite to hold and suck on while she watches you eating.

If that doesnt work maybe leave her for a few days then try again later.

2 little darlings 29/01/03 + 17/03/05

Hi Kath,
I found that none of my kids liked the farax, but they did like the Heinze rice cereal. It may be that she isn't ready for solids yet, or it might just be that it is a new thing for her, and is something she just needs to get used to.

Try making the rice cereal, or Farax very runny, and just persisting with it, 2-3 times per day. Don't force her to eat it though, just offer it to her. She will get used to the flavour and texture eventually, and be ready to try new flavours and textures.

If she is still gainging weight, don't be to concerned at this stage. She will get there, just keep the offerings coming, and continue with the breast feeds. Good luck.
Tracey

Mother of 3, Qld

Sign in to follow this topic