Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Food worries Lock Rss

I.m at the stage now where I hate worrying about what my bubs can and shouln't have yet. She has had all the fruit and veg and meats, & we are know up to egg and cows milk but have been advised to introduce these after 12 mths. I want to be able to give her yummy things over christmas and a birthday cake for her first birthday, but if it's got egg and milk in it does thst mean I shouldn't give it to her. Also, things like adding a little gravy to her veggies or a bit of chocolate or a tast of scallop potato, etc. I want to give her a go on diiferent things, but are a little unsure b/c of the whole milk and egg thing. Am I being a little to worried. Should I give her a taste of these things but not give her straight egg or cows milk, so long as they are mixed with things it should be ok. What do others do when it comes to giving their bubs these sorts of things? Please offer your thoughts.

bubs born 28/1/05

I give my girl most things and she is 8 months, you can give egg yolk but not the whites, I give Emma, cheese, icecream,white sauce(from our dinner), home made custard all in small amounts and shes fine with it, I think they only say that because the are 'high allergy' foods for some children and there digestive systems are too immature to cope with these foods but I'm sure a little bit here and there wont hurt, my oldest daughter had a choc cake for her first birthday.

If you look on the tins of watties baby custard they have milk products in them so it cant be all bad.

2 little darlings 29/01/03 + 17/03/05

This is the guide we're given in the ACT on eggs and cows milk. I figure it doesn't hurt to have different information - then you can pick what is best for you and your bub. The booklet we get is excellent called 'From Milk to More'. The website is www.communityhealthy.act.gov.au. I like it as it goes into nearly all types of foods, recommendations when to start and why. Best of luck and hope you and bub enjoy those yummy Christmas treats !

'Egg yold may be introduced from 8 months if there is no family or individual history of allergy. Begin by offering a small amount (1 teaaspoon) of well cooked egg yolk - a good time is when you are having an egg. Gradually increase the amount until your baby is eating nearly a whole egg yolk. Once you know the yolk is tolerated, offer small amounts of egg white and increase gradually'.

'Cows milk is not as nutritionally balanced for babies as breastmilk or formula. It is too high in sodium (salt) which isnot good for your baby's young kidneys and low in iron which is essential for your baby's brain development. Breastmilk or formula should continue as the major source of milk until 12 months of age. Cows milk products e.g custards, yoghurts and cheese may be introduced after 6 months of age when a variety of vegitalbes, fruit and meats are being eaten. Small amounts of cows milk may be used on cereal after 9 months. If there is a family history of allergies, or your baby shows signs of allergy you need to discuss the age at which you introduce cows milk and cows milk products with your CHN'.

DD is 3yr 8 months - DS is 6 months

Sign in to follow this topic