Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

EBM vs water in rice cereal Lock Rss

i was wondering if it makes much of a nutritional difference to mix the rice cereal for a 6 month old with EBM or water. he will eat it either way, but since he is still receiving breastmilk feeds, is there any real advantage to mixing it with EBM?
i feel guilty mixing it with water, but some days i just can't manage to express enough for 2 rice cereal feeds.
Fiona
I honestly have no idea i wouldn't think it would have any effect on him. i haven't actually ever done it with water, but i mix up a tiny amount of formula(eg onescoop) and use it just for the cereal etc
But, my boy is 14 months and has formula all the time, he is not on cows milk as he has had an eating prob. He doesn't have rice cereal anymore, but i still use it for his cereal! I didn't have a prob when he first started it, i expressed til i had to put him on AR formula from the paediatrician, so by the time he could have rice cereal he was on formula anyway!
This prob doesn't help you if he doesn't drink formula sorry, but i don't think there would be any prob using water, but as i said i really don't know!
Sorry i can't help you any further!

kelly, NSW, 4year old and 2 year old boys and expe

I wouldn't be too concerned that you cannot express enough milk for the cereal. I don't think it makes much difference in the nutritional value, my DS refuses to ear the cereal with EBM in it he only eats it with water.

I however which you may want to do is top him up with breast milk straight from the boob (stuff expressing) after bub has finished eating, besides he may be thirsty too which solves that problem and also adds to the nutritional value.

Amanda and Oscar (22 Feb 05)

I used water to start with, easier and told it doesn't really make a difference as cereal to provide extra iron needed - where BF/Formula will supply the rest in normal feeds.

I recently started expressing for cereal as had some sleep problems. CHN said it will make my DD feel a lot fuller. I also moved cereal to the dinner meal as problem was at night.

It is working really well, although you never quite know if its co-incidence or not.

DD is 3yr 8 months - DS is 6 months

Sign in to follow this topic