Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Whats your 6mth eating?? Rss

Hi there

I have a bub who is six months old and i am wanting ideas/ receips on what foods i could or should be giving her. Currenly, i am offering her two meals. One being breadkfast which i normally give her rice cereals which she is refusing the last couple of days and secondly i am giving her vegies for lunch.. She seems not to be eating much of the food that i am offering a i give her a bottle of formula first then around 45 mins later i will give her solids.. maybe i should be giving my bub her food first??? not really sure..

Any suggestion would be appreciated.

regards
first time mum..
hi
I've been told that its best to give bubs their bottle/breast 1st then the solids after.
also
babies can go off their food if they are teething
I've been told that beastmilk/ formula should be the main source of food for the 1st 12mths.even 12mth olds still need around 800ml formula/BM per day
Did you check out the posts in the recipies section?

DD 13/11/03 -DD 11.11.05 - DS 17.4.08

Hi Hannah

Thanks heaps for your reply. I spoke with my health nurse and she suggested that i give my bub her solid first then a little later her milk. That seemed to work quite well today. And my bub still had around 800mls of milk which is good for her age. Will check other posts for receipes. I am quite new to this web site as i am still learning.

Best wishes to you.

Regards
first time mum.
Hi first time mum,

I am also a first time mum and I found it a challenge starting my boy on solids at 5 months, he is now 6 and a half months old. I offered him rice cereal initially and he spat it out, but the next time I added pear and apple puree to it and he loved it. He now has it like that every morning (approx 10.30-11.30am). He has a bottle (180ml) when he wakes up at 6.30-7.30am. For lunch he has fruit custard, plus a 180ml bottle (approx 2.30). For dinner he has pumpkin, potato and beef, or sweet potato, corn and chicken (approx 5-6pm). I offer him a bottle just before bed, but he never wants it as he's too full from dinner.

I'm sorry that's a bit long winded but I hope that helps you. Let me know how you go.

Sam

Mum to toddler

Hi Sam

Thanks for your reply. I will need to give your routine a try.. Hopefully it will work for me too. Haven't yet given my bubs food from the jars as yet as i prefer to prepare things myself. But i may give it a try for some variety.
Does your little one have day sleeps? if so what duration and also does he have any teeth yet? So does your baby have three bottles of 180mls a day?

My bub currently has three daytime sleeps and has no teeth. I think she may be teething but i heard that the bubs can have the symptoms of teething for a few months before an actual tooth comes out. I will need to wait and see.

Regards
Diane
Hi Diane,

Yes, my boy does sleep during the day. He normally wakes up roughly 6.30 - 7.00am and goes down for a sleep about 10am and sleeps for approx half an hour to an hour. He then has another nap from about 1.30pm - 2.30pm. However, if we go out shopping I like to get out by 9am and get home by 1pm. He has his lunch when we get home and has a long sleep of approx 2 - 2 and a half hours.

He doesn't have any teeth as yet, but only last month I thought he was teething as all the signs were there, but nothing yet.

Yes he does have 3 180ml bottles a day, sometimes he has a 4th bottle but not very often. He gets his extra milk when I mix up his cereal, plus I grate some cheese with his vegies sometimes for dinner.

Good luck with you bub. Are you enjoying first time motherhood?

Regards,
Sam

Mum to toddler

Hi There! My baby is just over 6mths old. I found the book 'Breast, Bottle, Bowl' REALLY helpful for feeding info. Also the leaflet you get in coles in the baby section about feeding your baby solids.

The more I read the more confused I get! I then relax and think that they are only little versions of us and when you stop and think about it, use your head, it really isn't that hard. We all know what is good for us and what isn't.

When you try a food, make it basic. You also need to persist for a few days. Baby might like it the forth time around!! If you give up too easy, that is what makes a fussy eater!

In Breast Bottle Bowl, they tell us that babies have about 12,000 tastes buds and adults have about 3,000. No wonder baby has a shocked looked in it's eyes when she tastes something new the first few times!

It's all good, and lots of fun!
Suesy

Hi Sue,

Who is the author of Breast, Bottle, Bowl? I was at a bookstore last week, but couldn't see it.

Regards,
Sam

Mum to toddler

I used frozen baby food as I could mix and match what baby was eating - also, I tried the jars and frankly the smell and consistency made me feel sick. We use single veggies and fruits jars but never meat or fish.

I try to cook & freeze as much as possible but we also use the Motherly cubes baby food as you can just defrost as much or as little as baby wants (and mix & match for all the bizarre combinations of foods that your baby likes - mine adores the pureed broccoli of all things!)

I also like the Annabel Karmel (not sure how to spell her name) cookbooks which gave lots of great ideas for food even for very small babies

Mel.

2 DD: 5.5 yrs & 1yr

Hi Sam

When my bub was a newborn i disliked motherhood as i had no idea what i was doing.. I was hearing info from left right and centre and was driving me crazy. Thankfully, i have gained more confidence in myself as a mother and i would not change it for the world. I love my baby very much and serviously considering having another one really soon. Just to see my baby happy and laughing brings tears to my eyes.

Does your bubs sleep at all while you are out eg.. shopping? I find my lttle one gets a bit unsettled as she prefers to have a rountine..

Regards
Diane
My son started solids when he was 5 1/2 months..I started off on the plain rice cereal for a week, then introduced different vegies or fruit every 4-5 days to make sure there wasn't a reaction. Now basically whatever we eat for tea, I mash up for him. I think its important for them to try new things than live on just plain vegies and fruits...as long as hes eating a variety of foods from the foodgroup and is happy and healthy I'm not going to worry about his diet. But the honey and peanut butter is definately a nono in my books until over 12 months.

Don't forget to check out the recipe thread. Lots of great ideas posted from mums with different aged babies.
Hi Sam,
The author of Breast Bottle Bowl is Anne Hillis & Penelope Stone. I bought mine in Angus & Robertson.
Sign in to follow this topic