Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Solids and General Feeding Issues
  5. Cold water with a winter breakfast?

Cold water with a winter breakfast? Rss

My doctor told me when Jess was a little bub, that the only thing that she needs to drink from now until the day she dies, is water and milk. I totally agree. When she gets older she'll have treats, but at this stage I'd like to instill good habits into her. Currently, she's still breastfed, so the only thing she drinks is breast milk (from the breast, she's never had a bottle) and water with her meals. However, as the weather starts to cool down, I find I like to have a cup of tea with brekky instead of water. But Jess still gets the same old cup of water. What else can I do? I give it to her at room temp, so it's not cold.

Any other suggestions? She doesn't like cows milk at this stage.

Mummy of 2 little angels. 6/6/03 & 3/8/05 & No 3

Hi Calli

My 9 1/2 month old, Lachlan, is the same - I'm still breastfeeding. Our clinic nurse recommends only milk or water as well. He's only recently started having water - still trial & error tongue !!! Even now he prefers it room temp or luke warm rather than cold. As the mornings get cooler Jess may prefer her water a bit warmer - then again she might be happy with it cold.

By the way - I got your email and will reply soon smile

All the best
Jasmine
Hey Calli!! I just read your post, and although I'm not an expert on the matter, I just wanted to let you know what I've heard!! I've read, and been told that children should not be given cows milk until they're at least 12 months of age! I know you said your daughter doesn't like it, so therefore she obviously isn't having it, but just to let you know in case you plan on trying her on it again in the near future:)

eìí? well ... it started with a kiss eìí?-3-064

HI Calli,
I was having the same problem with my 9 month old son.
What I do now is whenever I steam veges for him, I always save the water I've steamed them in (as it's been boiling so long on the stove cooking the vege, it's sterilised). I have a large steamer that has a tray for the veges above the water that steams them. I figured the water would have so may nutrients in it and it actually tastes quite nice, especially if you've steamed sweet veges. I just freeze it in small containers and defrost each one giving him a slightly warmer drink, that although is basically water, a slight vege flavour that is so good for him.
You could also save the water on those microwave steamers with a tray for veges.
Hope this helps.
Laura

Laura DS July 03, DD Oct 05, DD Nov 08

Thanks for your idea's girls. I'm giving her lukewarm water at present, so I'll just see how she goes. I have been told, also, that we shouldn't give our babies cows milk until they're 12 months old. But I think that is just as their main source of milk (ie bottle), as it doesn't contain all the nutrients that they need like breast milk and formula. I'm not 100% sure, but the clinic nurse told me it was okay to use cows milk on their brekky (farex etc), but they shouldn't be having it in their bottle. Good point though, Brandons_mum, I won't be giving her cows milk again until after 12 months and I finish breastfeeding.

On another point, any Mums that are breastfeeding, how long are you going to feed for? I always said I'd finish at 12 months, but not so sure now??? What is everyone else thinking?

Calli

Mummy of 2 little angels. 6/6/03 & 3/8/05 & No 3

Hi again Calli,
Sometimes I really feel like I'm travelling so blindly as far as the best thing to do for my son. I guess at the end of the day, he has so much love from mum and dad and family, that really that is the main thing so we can't go wrong!
I really enjoy breastfeeding. Especially those times when they smile at you while feeding or stroke you while they feed. I really love the close feeling. I always thought 12 months I'd stop too, but I'm not sure either, it's just so good for them and such an enjoyable experience.
I always joke with a friend of mine and say that when they're old enough to say it, they may be old enough to stop it. Now there's a story behind this. I used to work in a child care centre and there was this 3 year old boy who was still breastfed, which was fine, each to their own absolutely. Except that one day when his mum arrived to pick him up she sat down to feed him as she always did but this particular day he went running over to her yelling "titty, titty, titty", hmmmm, a bit much I thought!
That being said, I'm hoping I will just know when to stop, hoping Levi will show me some signs himself.
I think that once he begins to really eat like a toddler and drink cows milk, he will wean himself off.
I know that day will be really sad, but I guess at the same time, it may be nice to be able to do more during the day if I need to without being relied upon.
Good luck with your decision.
Laura

Laura DS July 03, DD Oct 05, DD Nov 08

Hi Calli and Laura

As you probably know I too am still breastfeeding my 9 1/2 month old Lachlan. In the beginning I also thought I'd keep bf until he was 12 months, but as it gets closer (just around the corner now!!!) I'm not sure. He's still having at least 5 bf per day, and it doesn't bother me for all the reasons Laura said, and also he's so quick at it now - I think having to make bottles would be a lot more time consuming for me. Lachlan won't drink anything else, I've been offering him water from a trainer cup and sometimes he'll drink a bit, but usually he just smiles and let's it run down his chin - very cute smile !!!

Another reason they're not supposed to have cow's milk until 12 months is because their digestive systems can't break down the protein, but if it has been heated - like when you use it in cooking - the protein is broken down and it's ok for them.

I think I'm just going to continue bf for now, for us I can't see any reason to stop just yet - apart from other people's comments, but that's their problem. We're going to start trying for another baby soon so I'm figuring he'll eventually wean himself.

Talk to you soon
Jasmine
Sign in to follow this topic