Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
The Huggies Forum is closed for new replies and topics, you can still read older topics.

Breast feeding and solids Lock Rss

I just had a question, my 19 week old baby has been on solids (fruit for breakfast) for about 3 weeks now and tonight i gave her pumpkin for the first time for dinner. Even when she is only having fruit in the morning i noticed she has really gone off the breast, and reduced feeding to only about 5 times a day and sleeps all night. Is that ok or does she need more milk?

Melissa, NSW, 14 month old bubs

I've been told that Breast / Formula is the main source of nourishment until 9 months of age. Solids until then is mainly to teach them to eat - apart from the rice cereal which is a requirement as babies require extra iron from 6 months (approx).

My DD went down to 4 breast feeds per day and two per night within a month of starting solids (started solids at 6 months). I was told its normal at this age regardless of solids for them to reduce breast feeds as they don't need as much. Their rate of growth drops quite dramatically as you can see by the curve in the 'blue book' charts.

I think it can be different between babies as another mum's bub went off the breast and now has mostly solids and a few bottles (formula). The mum was happy with this though as returned to work.

A few other things I've read that can effect feeding is being pregnant and starting/having periods. Just thought I'd mention as thought that was interesting. I think the most important thing is to keep check on their weight (growth in general) as thats a quick iindicator if they aren't getting enough.

DD is 3yr 8 months - DS is 6 months

Sign in to follow this topic