Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More
  1. home
  2. Baby Forum
  3. Baby
  4. Solids and General Feeding Issues
  5. Pureed to lumpy textured foods - when did your bub start?

Pureed to lumpy textured foods - when did your bub start? Lock Rss

My boy is just over 7 months and I'm trying to get him to eat the lumpier (stage 2) foods. But he gags on them still. I've been giving him toast for over 2 months now and he still doesn't eat any. Just plays with it, gags on it and spits it out. I guess I will just keep going with it and one day he will start to swallow the scary lumps. smile

What ages did your bubs make the transition, and was there a winner food that helped??

Also what amounts do your bubs eat. I only manage to get anywhere between 80 - 120g down in one sitting 3 times a day, plus 4 bottles of milk. I thought he would be eating larger portions, but am unsure if that is the right amount.

He also seems to have a sweet tooth. Will only eat yogurt if you mix fruit puree in it. And most of the vegies have to have one of the following mixed in; carrot, sweet potato or sweet corn .... otherwise he doesn't like it.

Feedback greatly appreciated.
[Edited on 27/08/2008]
[Edited on 27/08/2008]

Hello,

I started DS on lumpier foods around 7.5 months. At first he just screwed his face up, gagged and spat it out but we worked on it slowly. I found that mixing both pureed and lumpy food together got him used to it and then slowly decrease the puree. A winner was pureed sweet potato or corn with a lumpier vegie. Not sure how many grams he eats but he eats 3-4 cubes from the mumi & bubi's ice trays 2 times a day and a generous bowl of farex (plain or flavoured, sometimes with fruit) and possibly manages to eat half a slice of toast for breakfast, hard to tell as it gets everywhere. lol...

My DD started solids at 6 months and within 2 weeks I had her eating lumpier food.

I initially pureed, which she took well. I quickly started to half puree - half hand mash, to strike while the iron was hot (so to speak). Worked a real treat.

Over the following month I puree'd less, and hand mashed more till she was weaned off puree completely.

This was a great method an old midwife told me, seems to kind of trick them into it but also not let them get too use to the really silky smooth puree.

Best of luck.

DD is 3yr 8 months - DS is 6 months

that sounds like a good idea - my little boy is 6 1/2months, he has been on solids since 5 months but has not had any for the past 3 weeks due to being sick and refusing to eat them, he has just started on them again this week and is eating better than ever - im gonna give this a go

Emily 08/02, Kayla 07/04 & Jeremy 02/08

Dd didint take to lumpier foods until only recently (11months) and the only reason she has started is because I give her finger foods and she can eat it herself.

She also didnt start solids till 7-8mnths as she just wasnt interested. So now I have just learnt that they will do it when they are ready, as it is a whole new swallowing reflex they have to learn.

As for the sweet vegies just gradually reduce the amount and increase the amount of other ones - I had to do it with apple as this is dd's weakness lol.

Thanks guys for all your input...

Although now he isn't eating much at all (not even the pureed stuff or his favourites). His second tooth has just cut and he has a terrible cold and an infection on his face from his eczema so I guess that is why he's off his solids. Its so frustrating when they don't eat. I just keep trying 3 times a day and what goes in...yeay! But if not I'm sure he'll pick up when he is better....I hope.

Thanks again.
Sign in to follow this topic