Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

When to start solids? Rss

Hi all

I would like to hear from anyone who has started their baby on solids at about the age of 4 months old.

Also what are the signs that baby will be showing that he needs solids?

Debs, NZ, Mum to Rory born 19/01/04

Hi Debs,

I was advised to start my daughter on solids just after 4 months, due to her being tongue tied (which is now rectified). She hated the bottle, and only ever drank at most 100mls at a time, even at 12 months. She was small, just above the 25th percentile band, so it just goes to show, every baby is different!

She is still small, but its normally the bigger bubs that need the solids earlier!

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Hi Debs
I started Liam when he was about 4 1/2 months old. He'd been waking during the night at about 3-4 am for a feed and had previously been waking between 5 and 6. He started to really look at us when we were eating watching every move, and he still does now. He also would go less time between his day feeds. I started on one meal a day but only did that for a couple of days as I noticed no difference. He's been on 2 meals a day for about 2 months now and is quite happy sleeping 12-14 hrs at night.
When you do start if bubs doesn't eat the rice cereal try adding a little fruit puree as it could be the taste he doesn't like, not the fact he's not ready. Liam won't touch the stuff plain but is a pig if its mixed with something else.
Hope this was of some help to you.
Kristy

member since 2004

Hi Debs,

I was naughty and started my boy on solids at around 3 1/2 - 4 months. He was always hungry after his milk feeds and would never sleep during the day. Once I started solids he did a complete turnaround. He was showing the normal signs (watching us eat, hands constantly in mouth....) I only gave him a taste of solids, but he gobbled it all up, and was pretty soon eating about 3-4 tablespoons a feed. He too didn't like cereal or potato on it's own, but is happy to eat it with other foods. Now at six months, he is a happy little eater, and will eat anything we give him.

Rebecca

Rebecca, NZ, Boy born 30/10/03

Sign in to follow this topic