Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Motherly Frozen Baby Cubes Rss

I have just started my son on solids and have been buying the cereal rice and Heinz baby food, but now wish to puree my own veges and fruit. I was just wondering if I could get some peoples views on the product thats in the supermarkets called Motherly frozen baby cubes....was wondering whether they were worth buying, or would it work out cheaper to puree and store your own food?
Hi Mel

I saw that frozen baby food at the supermarket a couple of weeks ago but it didn't have a price on it and I didn't have time to wait around while they tried to find out. Now it's nowhere to be seen! I was going to buy some to have "just in case", for those times when I run out and don't have time to cook another batch. I would assume though, as with most pre-prepared food, that they would work out more expensive than cooking your own. But as I said it would be useful to keep some on hand. I usually cook up a huge pot of vegies and beef or chicken which lasts a couple of weeks, I've never worked out the exact cost but it would probably be around $10, and I know exactly what's in it and how fresh it is.

Jasmine
Hi Mel,

I have to back everything Jasmine said! When it comes to cooking veges for babies, home cooked is the cheapest!

I haven't actually seen what you are talking about, but it would be great if it came in a fruit or sweet variety as that is what is hard to keep at a low cost.

It sounds like a great back up!

Take care,

Tepe

DD5, DS3, DS lost to SIDS at 6mths & DD6m

Hi Mel
I have never heard of these...but home cooked baby food is the cheapest way to go! I just keep a couple of things in the pantry for when we have day trips or emergancies!

Tepe, have you tried the Goulburn Valley fruity-things??? They come in puree/cubes with all sorts of flavours, no added sugar. I also keep a couple of these in the pantry as well.

mum of 1

Hi Jo,

I most certainly have...i buy the huge box, about 12 , i think, at the moment. But one third is strawberry so that goes to No1. but thanks heaps anyway, for the idea.

Take care,

Tepe

Tepe,
I buy the 825g tin of fruit and puree it myself. It cost about $2.50 a tin when they're not on special (that was Goulbourn Valley) and I got at least 2 full ice cube trays out of 1 tin. Get the one in natural juice so you know they're not getting extra sugar. I drain the juice, put it aside for a punch later for mum, at around 70 cents a tin of baby fruit this by far is the cheaper option. There's also a much bigger variety available, I've had Liam on fruit salad, peaches, pears, two fruits and apples.

Those Motherly Frozen cubes are about $7.00 a box, far cheaper to make your own and keep a couple of tins just in case.
Must run 'The Glass House' is about to start.
Kristy

member since 2004

Thanks Jasmine, I looked into it further, there is actually a website, just type in motherly frozen cubes in the search engine, anyway they are about $8-9 and 100% fruit or vege....I might make my own but also buy them for back up....for times when I dont have time ...
Hi Kristy,

I already got that idea fom somewhere else here....maybe it was you! Thanks either way. smile

It has worked so well for me, as quite often i can mix up some left-overs, or half an avacado, or some ricotta to top it up. I find it the perfect fill in for everything else. Mmmm my son loves apricot chicken...

Tepe

I never knew they sold it in bulk!!!! Can't wait till shopping day as i'm quite partial to the strawberry one myself....

mum of 1

Hi Tepe,
Hope you had a great Mother's Day.
It might have been me who suggested it.
I actually tried doing it all myself with apples this week as we had a bag that was on its way out. For all the extra work this created I didn't really think it was worth it, I'll be sticking to tins in future.

How old was your son when you introduced him to meat? Did you have any problems? What did you try?
As you'd know we had a problem with Liam and his veggies, but as long as there's tomato sauce we're fine now. So I just though Id pick your brains for advice on the meat thing.
Any one else with ideas or recipes feel free to reply.
Kristy

member since 2004

Hi Kristy,

The work, and not to mention the cost, of fruit, i haven't gone back.....Even apples at the best price are over a $1 a kilo, and after all the peeling, cooking, cleaning containers to store them in, cleaning what they were cooked in...you get my drift!

Meat, well we haven't really gone there much yet. Except for maybe 2 tins of heinz stuff, for convenience sake, and some leftovers thrown in the blender. I should be putting some good mince into his veg by now i know!

My thoughts for meat....off hand i can't remember how old your son is, sorry (as i do this post). If he is still having pureed food, just add it in. If he is at the next stage, with just a bit of consistancy, maybe you could add some minced beef or chicken, after it is cooked separetly.

My daughter grew up on fish, as my hubby is a keen fisherman. But as a growing family of four now, we seem to eat it too quick and there is not much left over. If you are prepared to cook it, fish is GREAT!

Another easy option is tuna or salmon from the tin! Just either add it to the blender, or mix it in after!

Huge post, hope you get something out of it!

Tepe

Hi Kristy...and everyone else.
I just wanted to pass on this idea regarding adding meat to pureed vegies...I do this all the time.

Rather than using a blender, just use your grater. Grab a hunk of cooked meat (roast beef is great or even a bit off a chicken fillet) and grate it into the dish of pureed vegies using the edge that you grate cheese with (and while you're at it maybe add some grated cheese too).

This is heaps easier than getting out your blender, setting it up, washing it, etc and it's also much easier than chopping the meat into little bits with a knife.

Have fun....hope Liam enjoys his meat!!!
Michelle
Sign in to follow this topic