Huggies Forum

Huggies® Ultimate
Nappies

Learn More

Starting solids - how much?? Rss

Hi everyone

I have just started my 5 mth old on rice cereal once a day and she is loving it. My question is this: how do I progress from this? When can I start feeding her three times a day and what types of food?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Gabriella, Chiara & angel called home

Hello

you follow the directions on the back of the box, then after a week or so try a little bits of fruit like pear.

then you just progress from there introducing little bits of fruit then increase it

good luck

melissa, vic, Patrick 2.5 & Laura 15 months

Hi

I have been following the directions on the box. I was just wondering when you move to three feeds per day?

Gabriella, Chiara & angel called home

Do it gradually, letting her be the guide. Try moving to 2 feeds a day, and see how interested she is. You will know you are introducing too many solid feeds if her interest in milk drops - at this age the milk should still be the most important part of the diet, and solids offered after a milk feed or at a different time to a milk feed. At around 9 months the solids start becoming more important nutritionally than milk. I would expect to be giving 3 solid meals by 7-9 months - depending upon her appetite. With types of food try pureed fruits and vegetables - giving a variety of tastes - apples, pears, sweet potato, pumpkin are some good ones to try early. Even if she refuses a taste first time, try again as it can take them a while to get used to new tastes.

Good luck.

mum to 2 girls

Hi Lili

I agree with Mum2girls - milk is their main source of food in the first 12 months, but at around 9 months you can start giving solids before milk and by then your baby will probably be having 3 meals per day plus maybe morning or afternoon tea. I started my son on solids at 5 1/2 months and after a couple of weeks he was having solids at breakfast and lunch and 3 meals per day at about 7 months but as with everything they are all different. Just let your baby's appetite guide you. If you need some more info or support try talking with your clinic nurse - they have heaps of info and brochures they can give you about introducing solids.

All the best
Jasmine smile
I started my baby boy at 5 mths on rice cereal and breast milk. I did this for 1 week at night, and then during the 2nd week I gave my baby rice cereal & bm in the morning and pureed apple in the evening. Then in the third week I mixed the rice cereal, bm & pureed apple in the morning and started introducing a vegetable at night, like sweet potato or pumpkin. Then I started introducing different pureed fruits in the morning with rice cereal, and different vegies at night. At 6 mths my baby is still on two solids per day and 5-6 breastfeeds. I try different vegies at night and mix them together when I know there is no reaction. I intend to stay with 2 solid feeds per day until my baby seems to need another solid feed. I hope this helps. Good luck.

SA, 2 boys

Sign in to follow this topic